Home » Audio » Speaker » Klipschorns anyone?
Sorry about my other non reply, so ... [message #15826 is a reply to message #15823] Thu, 11 December 2003 17:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
HenryW is currently offline  HenryW
Baron
Here is my two cents on the Heresy -

1 - I haven't particularly liked the sound with the flea power amps I have heard, although folks I respect say they do (however, I have not heard it on the same equipment as they). As to More power, they sound quite nice on some of the Fisher stuff I used to own and I hear pretty food things about the Scott 299c and D with them. The tubes I liked were at about 13 - 20 wpc and well below your $2,000 bogey. They definitely sound 'warmer' with tubes. The mids and highs are not so distinctly there for certain things - that can be good or bad based on your perspective.

2 - They need some help in bass reproduction, so a supplemental woofer (sub) comes in handy. They roll off pretty quick after 70hz. Without a sub - lots of folks prefer the Cornwalls for just this reason. Some tube amps (like the vintage Scotts mentioned above) have a center channel that can be used for a powered sub.

3 - I have had Heresy speakers somewhere around me for 29 years. I prefer them 1 - 2 feet above my head and very near the corners. I then angle and adjust to get a respectfully wide sweet spot (I guess you could say my 'soundstage'). They can be directional and may be I use the corners for the rflections. All that seems to be a bit wrong in the logic department, but what can I say other than they really seem to shine there for me (and I have tried them in many set ups).

4 - I like them with good reasonably powered SS - the HK740 in my office is very good with them (and was fairly cheap when I picked it up). As an aside - the 740 is darn good with the 2 PI and they may end up in the next rotation on this reciever.

5 - I really tried to stay away from the sounstage discussion, but I'll dive in. You may have hit the point - getting use to the sound could take a bit (after 29 years I wouldn't know anymore) and let's you relax. I do know that you can get a reasonably good feel of being surrounded by sound with good recordings. There is a big however here, there are quite a few larger all horn speakers that will do a better job (as well as the right powered - gasp - Dynaudios, etc.), but I believe many (if not most) folks will like the limited compromises you make for this speaker when the find how little damage there is to the pocketbook.

Probably more than you wanted - all is IMHO. I do like the speaker and in the right sized room, right equipment and a good source recording - you should have a good experience.

Henry

Re: Klipschorns anyone? [message #15828 is a reply to message #15823] Thu, 11 December 2003 23:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hurdy_gurdyman is currently offline  hurdy_gurdyman
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Hi Jim,
The audio world is rather small at that! You can see my stereo set-up on my website.
Having the Heresy's off the ground helps imaging a lot. Also, tilt them back and toe in so you are looking right down the throat of the horns.
There is a trick moving a wire from tap two to tap one on the crossover autoformer on the Heresy midranges that lower the mids output a couple of decibles that makes them even better, and improves imaging a bit, also. You need to add 16 Ohm resistors to the mid driver for the crossover to be at the correct frequency with this change. It's simpe to do and well worth the effort. There's more info on this on the Klipsch Forum, as well as a tweek called the P-trap for older Heresy 1's. Do you have 1's or 2's?

Dave

Heard the Klipschorn's today [message #15829 is a reply to message #15825] Thu, 11 December 2003 23:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Well, I went and heard a nicely set up pair of Klipschorns at Stereo Shoppe in Lansing, Michigan, today. They were, I believe, a 1986 model the store bought new and has used as a reference ever since. They were powered by a ss Rotel amp. I listened to some acoustic jazz I was familiar with. What's surprising is just how similar they sounded to my Heresy's with added open baffle subwoofers. The k-horns sounded bigger, of course, being much more efficient, but the family sound was very similar. It sounded like they would image better, also, but without comparing in the same room, I can't say for sure. At any rate, it showed my that my Heresy's aren't just poor cousins. I suspect the Heresy's get close to 90% of the quality of the big k-horn's, but at a much cheaper price. Still, If I could stumble on to a pair of Klipschorn's at the right price, I'd sure grab them up in a hurry.

Dave

Re: Klipschorns anyone? [message #15830 is a reply to message #15828] Fri, 12 December 2003 09:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Other mods include lightly stuffing the box with polyfill or other stuffing and add a couple of 1" dowel rods for bracing. Using a good subwoofer helps bring the bottom up to par with the rest of the system.

Dave :^)

A place to go for conversation on this.. [message #15831 is a reply to message #15823] Fri, 12 December 2003 09:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
HenryW is currently offline  HenryW
Baron
This thread at Klipsch.com talks about folks preferences and experience:

http://forums.klipsch.com/idealbb/view.asp?topicID=42632&sessionID={912F50D2-4737-4ACB-B2FB-3B1179F26927}

Re: Klipschorns anyone? [message #15832 is a reply to message #15830] Fri, 12 December 2003 11:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jim denton is currently offline  jim denton
Master
Very interesting suggestions---First thing I can do is re-arrange my speaker positions as suggested---I have a couple of locals that may be of assistance on the crossover changes (as I am a novice ) Thanks for the ideas Dave Jim

Re: Sorry about my other non reply, so ... [message #15833 is a reply to message #15826] Fri, 12 December 2003 12:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Master
Henry, I must concur with the speaker postioning at a higher point--but getting those heavy dudes up over 3-4 ft is a trick--and I am on to try the corners also---I also see (now after some time listening to many CD's) the quality of the said Cd and the source makes all the diff in this speaker! (Duh!) My room is of particular concern (smallish I think) but I have a few watts to throw at them too, I'm pushing a 18watt Pilot and a Apt Holman pre---which has not seen the volume setting on high noon ---I don't want to be out replacing windows in this weather!!! I do see the value of a lot of listening and moving speakers to develop that "spot"---Some others have mentioned these speakers in HT---is that their "forte' " I wonder? I have some Omega Super 3's coming ---in the mean time....I could rent 2 crains and .................where is the sawsall? JD

here is a pair / probably won't see this again [message #15834 is a reply to message #15816] Fri, 12 December 2003 14:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Seeker is currently offline  Seeker
Baron
Frank at Sophia Electronics has a pair.

Speakers:
1. top of the line Lowther TP-1 single drive horn(front horn and back horn with a single driver) speakers(go down to 30 hz) in Rosewood finish. 104dB efficiency, great for low power single ended amplifiers. Was customer trade in. Box enclosure special for $2500 per pair(was $7500). Lowther drivers(PM2) is $950 per pair, about a few hundred hours milage. Local pick up.

Re: Sorry about my other non reply, so ... [message #15835 is a reply to message #15833] Fri, 12 December 2003 19:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I've noticed that these speakers are absolutely non-forgiving of CD quality. They won't help a bad CD to sound good. But they will make a great CD sound great. I don't know of another speaker anywhere near the price that will really let you know what's on a CD (or any other source) better then the Heresy's.

Dave

Re: Klipschorns anyone? [message #15837 is a reply to message #15828] Sat, 13 December 2003 11:46 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Master
Dave---easy for you!!!! But hey! I not gutless either!!! Talked Wayne to help me thru my first speaker surgury! Polyfil? special or like pollow stuffing? I'll find something--probably best to be inorganic? You and Henry were right--getting them up higher was big change ---more after patient recovers Dr J out

Previous Topic: anyone try matching a 40"ribbon tweeter and a 15" woofer
Next Topic: large or small?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed May 15 12:31:20 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout