Home » Audio » Speaker » Omega Super 3 BPC
Re: Second the vote on Fostex and.. [message #15807 is a reply to message #15805] Tue, 09 December 2003 11:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jim denton is currently offline  jim denton
Master
Henry W,

I have taken an extra few minutes to arrange pen & pad, pillows, and a large beverage so that I might committ my full mental abilities in the hope that I might gain YOUR insight and learn (O Audio Guru!) just how the heck you made hersey's sound good in a tube amp system---I too have a pair and for a 2-channel main was vastly unimpressed--no soundstage at all-----and I have my eye on a nice pair of used Omega 3's ----again, Sir how did you arrange those speakers---frankly, I got lost as to where was what---Jim

Well Grasshopper.... [message #15808 is a reply to message #15807] Tue, 09 December 2003 11:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
HenryW is currently offline  HenryW
Baron
Unfortunately, I was commenting on my experience with Fostex, not a direct reply to the original question of the thread. The speaker stuff was simply a reference point as a small insight as to what type of colorations I find most pleasing in listening and to maybe let folks understand where my 'ear' bias resided.

I guess I will have to work on gaining knowledge so you can take notes while I describe the difference between soundstage and extraneous delayed reflections (all tongue in cheek - put smiley face here). Until I do so, I'll be more careful in saying anything else that displays my shallow understanding nor go to far afield from the starting point of the thread.

Soundstage - what a great lead in to a never ending argument.

Guru out.....

Re: Second the vote on Fostex and.. [message #15809 is a reply to message #15805] Wed, 10 December 2003 08:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
akhilesh is currently offline  akhilesh
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
While Fostex is definitely better than most other speakers, and probably the way to go if you are buying new and on a budget, i personally prefer the older drivers with the more powerful magnets.
They are cheaper too!!
-akhilesh

...and... [message #15811 is a reply to message #15809] Wed, 10 December 2003 13:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Hi Akhilesh!

Let me guess -
You must be talking about -
Could it be?

Stephens Trusonics

:-)

Looking forward to a Great Plains Audio Club meeting at your place in January. People are gonna love your Trusonics and your Klipschorns. I know I do. And I still need to buy one of those amps like you have, I forget the name. But it will have to wait until after Christmas anyway.

Re: ...and... [message #15813 is a reply to message #15811] Wed, 10 December 2003 14:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
akhilesh is currently offline  akhilesh
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Hey Wayne!
I've mainly heard trusonics. but basically i just think the combination of alnico magnets and a paper cone is most natural sounding, especially when doped with low powered tube sound, good cable and maybe some single malt scotch.
Look forward to having folks over in January!
-akhilesh

Great Plains Audio Club [message #15817 is a reply to message #15807] Wed, 10 December 2003 15:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Hi Jim!

Akhilesh is going to host a gathering at his house in January. You and I discussed this a couple of days ago, and I wanted to point you to some of the right folks. So watch the Audio Round Table forums and the π Speakers forum for "Great Plains Audio Club" posts.

Wayne

Re: ...and... [message #15820 is a reply to message #15813] Wed, 10 December 2003 17:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hurdy_gurdyman is currently offline  hurdy_gurdyman
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I second old AlNiCo drivers. I am a big fan of old EV fullrange drivers. I currently have a pair of LS-12's in an open baffle and can't decide between them and some slightly modded Klipsch Heresy's I have. They both sound real good and natural. They also both have AlNiCo magnets! They beat anything else I've owned in over 30 years of being in this hobby. I haven't owned any Fostex yet, but I've heard a few. They have a different sonic character then the EV's. Haven't heard them enough to decide which sounds better, or at least which I would prefer in the long run.

Dave

Re: Omega Super 3 BPC [message #15836 is a reply to message #15795] Sat, 13 December 2003 06:12 Go to previous message
JLM is currently offline  JLM
Viscount
All Omega 3 series speakers use the Fostex FE127E driver.

Previous Topic: Interesting articles
Next Topic: Has anyone heard the zhorns?(nt)
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu May 09 18:22:11 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio