Home » Audio » Speaker » Speaker Cable Question
Speaker Cable Question [message #15381] Wed, 20 September 2006 10:58 Go to next message
FredT is currently offline  FredT
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Here's a question about bi-wire nomenclature. Is this correct:

Standard bi wire = four conductors (2 pairs) inside a single outer cover, with one pair of terminations at the amp end and two pairs of terminations at the speaker end?

Shotgun bi wire = two separate two conductor cables terminated
together at the amp end?

Re: Speaker Cable Question [message #15382 is a reply to message #15381] Thu, 21 September 2006 06:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
The silence is deafening.

Re: Speaker Cable Question [message #15383 is a reply to message #15381] Thu, 21 September 2006 12:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GarMan is currently offline  GarMan
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
From what you're describing, aren't they the same thing? The only difference being the first is housed in a single jacket?

Either way, how does bi-wiring make a difference besides to the pocketbook of cable manufacturers?

Re: Speaker Cable Question [message #15384 is a reply to message #15383] Thu, 21 September 2006 15:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
What I really need is an informed response to the question: In the cable industry is there a standard accepted term to decsribe bi wire cables where the four conductors are contained within one jacket versus bi wire cables where the two sets of conductors each occupy their own jacket?

Re: Speaker Cable Question [message #15385 is a reply to message #15384] Sat, 23 September 2006 04:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Epstein is currently offline  Bill Epstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I think it goes beyond.
The bi-wires I once had were one set of contacts at the amp end and 2 at the speaker.
Shotgun is 2 sets of terminations at both ends.
Either way is bogus, assuming a single run has enough gauge to conduct the signal.

Re: Speaker Cable Question [message #15386 is a reply to message #15385] Sun, 24 September 2006 04:35 Go to previous message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
The reason I am asking is because there seems to be more than one interpretation of what "shotgun" bi wiring is. My friend Wardsweb asked this question on audiokarma and after reading the responses I'm even more confused than before.

Previous Topic: New single driver
Next Topic: Open Baffle EV's
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 12:17:47 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout