Home » Audio » Speaker » Very puzzling
Very puzzling [message #15321] Wed, 26 July 2006 19:00 Go to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
I have to ask this in the hopes people will give it some thought. Regarding xover and xover design I will start with a saying I read in a speaker builder book; it said anyone who thinks they can grab a bunch of off the shelf parts and create a fundamentally sound xover design is dreaming. The chances of coming up with a sufficient design by doing that are slim and none.
Yet lately on forums I read about guys swapping parts in and out of their xovers and changing values like the weather.
I have to wonder are they really getting good results that are consistent and well integrated in the over-all design or are they tailoring the frequency response at random and calling it good?
I mean why do established companies with good designs spend so much R&D on xover design if it is that easily done?

Re: Very puzzling [message #15322 is a reply to message #15321] Wed, 26 July 2006 19:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GarMan is currently offline  GarMan
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I think the odds of improving a crossove by swapping parts at random are next to zero. But most of the swaps I read about is just replacing stock components with higher quality, while maintaining the same values. Considering most stock crossovers are build on a price-point, can't be too hard to improve quality with better parts, provided values remain the same.

Tweaking crossovers by changing values really requires you to understand what each component is doing and why. First order crossovers are the easiest. As poles increase, it becomes increasingly more complicated. Not only do you have shape of slope to worry about, but you have to contend with phase, baffle and relative positioning of drivers. Computer modelling programs are a big help in this area.

I want to address your comment about established company spending a lot of money on XO design and whether or not it's really that easy. The short answer is yes, it is that easy. Considering that there are many in the DIY community armed with nothing more than a laptop, microphone, a corner in their basement, and several hundred dollars of software, that are able to design and build perfectly flat speakers, it's not really that difficult if you really want to do it. The big difference is that established companies have to design these things so that can be built consistently under price points.

Gar.

Re: Very puzzling [message #15323 is a reply to message #15322] Wed, 26 July 2006 21:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Good reply and food for thought. Swapping the same values out for better quality doesn't change anything so thats a wash.
So to address your comment on computor modeling I would ask why every speaker doesn't pretty much sound the same since the models would assume similar conditions to find the best solution for a given component choice.
Regarding DIY efforts; the first point that jumps out at me is that why would we need any proffessional speaker builders if we could just spend the money we give them on a couple programs and some measuring devices and create better stuff on our own. I don't dispute what you say; I just think it might be a little more involved than that. Designing to price points when you have economies of scale seems to also be a wash in regards to big companies VS DIY. So I guess the question becomes is there any pro speaker designers that actually best the home constructor who has some knowledge and access to a little gear for testing?
If the computor modeling works well it should mean the pros have no advantage other than access to larger inventories of parts to experiment with. What do you think?
In order to be candid I will say there are commercial speakers I am familiar with that I will say are worlds above the average homebuilt in quality and distinctive sound. But I haven't heard everything.
As an example I see the SD field where as I have expressed in the past I personally feel they sound astonishing;...on certain types of music. On other types they sound dead. Thats I think where we go with the homebuilt and designed computor modeled examples. They get certain things right; sometimes very right. But not everything. And that is what a commercial and well rounded speaker should be doing. So I am not so sure it is a price point so much as the requirement that the speaker play everything. IMO. Just an opinion; I would love to be proven wrong and be able to build my own gem of a loudspeaker; one that does most things well and some great.
Then again I always loved the Quad 57 so that kind of pin-points me in a way.

Re: OOO! OOO! I Know! [message #15324 is a reply to message #15323] Sat, 29 July 2006 09:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wunhuanglo is currently offline  wunhuanglo
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
The reason they don't sound pretty much the same is the whole speaker is worked to a price point, not just the crossover.

I'd be willing to bet that if you listened to several generations of Wilson Audio WAMMs side-by-side the sound character would be pretty much the same.

As far as pros having an advantage over DIY? I'm willing to bet a dollar to a dime that their advantage (excluding obvious charlatans like Audionote selling 2-way $28,000 speakers that they proudly declare sound like a drumhead when tapped on)is that the pros are more likely to be clear-eyed (eared?)about their results, less self-delusional because they're not working in isolation, open-loop, no feedback.

Re: OOO! OOO! I Know! [message #15325 is a reply to message #15324] Sat, 29 July 2006 10:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Interesting; whats your take on the DIY/pro thing regarding your big gun Altecs and JBL's? I know you like them and most of their designs were done without the aid of computor modeling.
See I would accept that if you have access to a lab and use the best available drivers; Scan-Speak/TAD etc with anechoic chamber results and such then as a diy'er you could turn a better design, but then it would cost you more than a pro built unit. Guys working out of their garage build really nice stuff that sounds good; but it ain't competing with the top shelf stuff.

Re: OOO! OOO! I Know! [message #15326 is a reply to message #15325] Sun, 30 July 2006 08:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wunhuanglo is currently offline  wunhuanglo
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I really, really, REALLY believe that not competing with top shelf stuff is the illusion they (the producers of top shelf stuff) have fostered over the years to get the buying public in the door.

99 and 44/100% of any loudsepaker is the driver and very, very few manufacturers of dynamic loudspeakers build or even specify drivers; some big Chinese company produces a huge range of variations and they pick one. If you turn to the Japanese companies (TAD, GOTO, ALE) I highly doubt (but don't know for a fact) that they wouldn't consider any outside input beyond "thank you for the honor of allowing me to purchase your products".

So you're left with a company buying drivers and building a box to hold them. How hard is that really? The guy who designed and built the driver had an ideal enclosure in mind when he started. Ask him. If you don't want to ask him as T-S - they know to a very high degree of certainty.

And the crossover? I'm convinced that all the "mystique" about crossovers is largely manufactured - that even a textbook crossover will work just fine with well-behaved quality drivers. It's undoubtedly a challenge to knock off the peaks and dips in the response of some "Made in China" POS but that wasn't your point. And even if you engineer a brilliant response shaping network, how meaningful is it when applied to a line of drivers with poor quality control and large sample-to-sample variations?

As far as cost goes, look at the prices of Westlakes or Wilsons or those of similar stature - a speaker with perhaps $5K of drivers and materials at retail sells for $30,000 - there's a hell of a lot of $ for the DIYer to play with.

And what I think most important is that the DIYer doesn't need an anechoic chamber - he's building a custom speaker for a custom space, his livingroom - all that really matters is the in-room response he gets, not how his speakers measure in some absolute sense.

And another point - people who build and sell "statement" speakers with passive crossovers are just full of shit - there's no justification for a $30K pair of speakers with a passive crossover these days, especially as cheap as DSP has become. But again, it's part of the manufactured mistique - you use passive crossovers and your customer is much more likely to waste thousands on the speaker wires and amp-trading that your retailer relies on between big speaker sales.

And yet ANOTHER point - most loudspeakers above a certain quality level are a distinction without a difference, a matter of personal taste and peference (what the hell is a $50,000 Stereophile Class A loudspeaker with LIMITED FREQUENCY EXTENSION anyway???)

Much if not most of the consumer loudspeaker market is an exercise in illusion and intimidation - mass hysteria or a sort, assuming you're vulnerable to it.

Re: OOO! OOO! I Know! [message #15327 is a reply to message #15326] Sun, 30 July 2006 18:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
You know I buy that; good train of thought. You addressed my exact point and I appreciate it. So regarding the money if a DIY guy had 30k could he duplicate the success of a Wilson Watt. BTW I am not a fan of them but some people seem to like them.

Re: OOO! OOO! I Know! [message #15328 is a reply to message #15326] Mon, 31 July 2006 12:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Martin is currently offline  Martin
Master
wunhuanglo,

You wrote :

"And another point - people who build and sell "statement" speakers with passive crossovers are just full of shit - there's no justification for a $30K pair of speakers with a passive crossover these days, especially as cheap as DSP has become."

BAM! I feel like somebody just hit me square in the forehead with a 2x4 to get my attention. I had never considered that thought before but it makes absolute perfect sense. Spend $30K and you get to listen to your high priced amps and preamps filtered by a bunch of Solen caps, sand cast resistors, and coils of magnet wire. But they are safely hidden in a beautiful styled exotic cabinet that makes a statement to anybody coming into your home. That was probably one of the most enlightening statements I have read on a forum in a long time.

Excellent,

Martin

Re: I have to Ask [message #15330 is a reply to message #15328] Wed, 02 August 2006 08:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Regarding WUNG and Martin; I have a copy of "Theory and Design of Loudspeaker Enclosures", J.E. Benson; in my little library. It looks daunting; in fact it makes it look hard to come up with a good design. How do we justify that level of scholorship if this isn't all that hard?
I am not being argumentative here just curious.
Whats the "Fibonacci Alignment?"

Re: I have to Ask [message #15331 is a reply to message #15330] Wed, 02 August 2006 17:40 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Martin is currently offline  Martin
Master
I think there are a couple of things going on with this text.

First, Benson was probably writing as an academic for an academic audience which really means that the elegance and complexity of the derivations is elevated. People who write in these circles are all extremely talented and the style tends to be as important as the content. You see similar styles in articles in most professional technical society Journals. It satisfies a certain community and can unintentionally exclude the average person trying to learn the sunject. The author is demonstrating his or her skill and completeness in mathematical derivation and documentation and this is required to remain and florish in academia. Anybody pursuing a technical Phd is probably well schooled in this style of writing.

As an aside, early in my career I wrote an internal company paper on bending of bolted joints and closures for nuclear pressure vessels. I tried to explain it so any other engineer could understand and use the simple equations/methods I had derived. A month or two after the paper was distributed, I got a copy of an article put together by a Phd based on my work. Everything was a variable including the shape of the bolts. He had derived the equations to include square bolts! Totally impractical and crazy.

I am not trying to imply that Benson's work is either impracticle or crazy, it is really a very nice book but aimed at a limited audience. I have the same book on my shelf and have read it but not used it very much.

The second thing to remember is that people trained in this type of work can read Benson's text and not struggle too much. Somebody with an electrial engineering, mechanical engineering (like me), or maybe a physics education has seen this type of math modeling of systems in school. I make my living analyzing structures and hardware mathematically and have worked on several different products using the same set of skills. When you look at a closed or ported box system, you are really working with the simplest of these type od math models. One (the driver) or two (the driver and the air in the port) mass systems with a couple of springs (driver suspension and air volume in the box) are as simple as it gets in math modeling. These math models can be derived and solved by hand, then they can be easily prgramed to make nice response plots (think Boxplot, WinISD and my MathCad worksheets). This is why they are "not rocket science". Now you can add more and more complexity to the models and the predictions that will make the solution more accurate and at the same time more complex. But basically, closed and ported speaker systems are fairly simple systems compared to the work most analytical engineers/physicists do at their day jobs.

Hope that helps,

Martin

Previous Topic: Martin King subwoofer in AudioXpress
Next Topic: Need a bit of help with cab volume
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 21:56:09 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers