Home » Audio » Speaker » Dynaco A25
Dynaco A25 [message #15231] Wed, 08 March 2006 19:40 Go to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
They over at SEAS are building them again. You can buy a kit. Nice old sound from the way-back. Inexpensive too.

Re: Dynaco A25 [message #15232 is a reply to message #15231] Thu, 09 March 2006 09:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Wow, cool! Thanks for the heads-up!

Re: Dynaco A25 [message #15234 is a reply to message #15231] Mon, 20 March 2006 08:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
akhilesh is currently offline  akhilesh
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Do you have a link, John?
ALso, any idea about the pricing?
thanks
-akhilesh

Re: Dynaco A25 [message #15235 is a reply to message #15234] Mon, 20 March 2006 09:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Actually I do have the link and the price. They are selling for just about 260$ for the bare kit without cabinets plus shipping. Thats the two drivers each /the crossovers and the stuffing for the aperiodic vent.

They are upgraded from the originals and still use the ten" woofer crossed low over to the tweeter. If I didn't love my Pi's I would buy these in a second; make that a New York Second!
But the Theater 4's are pretty hard to beat; although I have yet to try the mods Fred suggested.

Re: Dynaco A25 [message #15237 is a reply to message #15235] Tue, 21 March 2006 09:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Thanks John. I checked it out & it looks good. I wonder what the eff is on these though.
-akhilesh

Re: Dynaco A25 [message #15239 is a reply to message #15237] Tue, 21 March 2006 10:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
I have a pair of the originals and they are not bad. After your post I tried them on the Gainclone which is about 10 watts or so. They drove well up to just about the point of distortion and that was louder than I ever listen. Nice full bass.
Now the new ones use pretty good SEAS drivers; if you check the specs on the drivers they are very good quality. And remmember these are ported cabinets so I would assume they are fairley efficient. I can't imagine they don't offer that info anywhere; did you check the rest of the site?

I found it [message #15241 is a reply to message #15239] Tue, 21 March 2006 12:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
The woofer has 89 db eff.
The excel tweeter (the premium deal) has 93 db sensitivity.

Based on the freq slopes of the drivers, I'd assume the crossover is a 2-way first order with some attenuation for the highs.

I am sure it would sound ok. My guess is eff would be 89 db for hte unit, and it should sound pretty good with a 10-20 watt tube amp.
The price including cabs is around 750 pound sterling, which is close to what, a grand here? PLus shipping?

Sounds like a good deal for someone looking for a moderately eff unit.
-akhilesh

Re:You Just Buy The Driver Kit; Don't Ship The Cabs. [message #15243 is a reply to message #15241] Tue, 21 March 2006 12:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Yeah; but why ship the boxes? The drivers and xover as a kit run about 325$ with shipping. You can get a very good cabinet made at that size for what; about 200$
But what some guys are doing now is buying used Dyna A 25's and gutting those cabs and installing the parts. The used examples run about 100$ in good shape; so there you go; excellent speakers for what..450$?
Remmember these are not your 30$ drivers; they are quality units. The older A-25's still sound better than a lot of new speakers; then with the ugraded drivers; sounds like a winner to me.

IMO, for the $$$, stick with a used pair.. [message #15246 is a reply to message #15243] Mon, 27 March 2006 10:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
marc-homeslice is currently offline  marc-homeslice
Esquire
With a cap upgrade, numerous posted tweaks to a simple 1st order xover, the original - darn good 8" woofers, i would just spend the maybe, $100 and grab a used pair. You can upgrade with the new tweets (recommended Seas and Morel tweeters for about $50 [try Madisound] and some basic xover modification (you can bypass the tweeter attenuation pot altogether if you like, plus a few other tweaks) you would get some nice high frequency extension. Check out all the posts at both Vintage & Speaker forums on Audio Asylum for more info -- it has been discussed many times over there.

They were so popular that you are bound to find a local pair in nice shape on eBay within, say 3 months and you won't have to worry about shipping.

But hey, i'm a vintage head -- to me there is some voodoo magic with what makes the Dyna A25s sound so natural.. they had no business sounding as good as they did back in their day - they'd sound even better with a slightly increased enclosure size (that would be a really worthwhile project, using the original drivers, with maybe just a twweter replacement and building new cabs).

Seas makes great drivers.. so they may sound great -- i just wonder if they'll improve upon the old magic and the orig. with the new tweeters sounds brilliant (i run some in my office system).

Re: Well; the drivers and xover cost 268$. Cheap for what you get [message #15247 is a reply to message #15246] Mon, 27 March 2006 14:25 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
I believe those woofers were ten inch. That was the real kicker; a ten inch bass driver in such a small box. They could do it because the tweeter could handle high power due to it's large size and big magnet. That tweet crossed at about 2k. The aperiodic loading is how they got the bass to perform well with such a wide freq response demand.
The new one's( and I have not heard them) use much better quality drivers but the same configuration; 10"/woof and 1 3/4 " tweet with simple xover and ap loading. So I would expect they sound very close considering the same company and style of drivers are used.
And remmember they are very Inexpensive. If you buy the parts it runs you 268$. Stuff them in your A25 box or have a really nice box built to specs and for 450$ you have a really good pair of speakers.

Previous Topic: AudioRoundTable Archive
Next Topic: Need help with my first build project
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun May 12 12:12:05 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout