Home » Audio » Speaker » Bypassing speakers transformer
Bypassing speakers transformer [message #15093] Tue, 30 August 2005 23:44 Go to next message
starcelica is currently offline  starcelica
Esquire
Hi

I have recently aquired a pair of 100V line speakers. I believe these are typically used for PA systems etc. This pair are also compatible with 8 ohm setups. I want to use them with my home stereo receiver / amp, and am told I can simply bypass the 100V transformer built into the speaker, and connect the wires onto the driver, rather than having to use a PA amp. Is this correct, and if so, are there any tricks or traps I should be careful of. Any other advice would be most appreciated. Thanks!

Re: Bypassing speakers transformer [message #15094 is a reply to message #15093] Wed, 31 August 2005 04:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Sounds like the speakers were used with 100V constant voltage distribution transformers. If you're able to wire to the voice coil directly, and you're sure it is an 8 ohm voice coil, then you're all set. Disconnect the transformer and connect direct.

Is it a single driver or does your speaker have a crossover?

Re: Bypassing speakers transformer [message #15095 is a reply to message #15094] Wed, 31 August 2005 18:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
starcelica is currently offline  starcelica
Esquire
I am certain it is an 8 ohm voice coil, so from what you tell me, I should be ok.

It is also has a single driver. Will that make any difference to what I am trying to do??

Thanks for the response!

Re: Bypassing speakers transformer [message #15096 is a reply to message #15095] Thu, 01 September 2005 07:18 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I was just curious as to whether you had a single driver speaker or something with a crossover in it.

Sounds like the hookup to your amp should be a piece of cake. Just remove the transformer and set it aside. Connect direct.

Previous Topic: lowther drivers in cabinets
Next Topic: Two horn theory papers
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu May 16 09:28:07 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout