Home » Audio » Speaker » Image perception
Re: Image perception [message #14987 is a reply to message #14986] Mon, 23 May 2005 17:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I agree. I like to live with a component for a while to evaluate it. I understand the reasoning behind double blind tests and I don't discount them at all. This isn't about that. I just like to like to have some time with a component, and the keepers are the ones I find myself yearning to listen to music through, hard to shut off, make me late for a meeting because I have to listen to "one more song"...

Re: Image perception [message #14988 is a reply to message #14980] Mon, 23 May 2005 17:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Merit? This is one of the most interesting threads yet. I hope Dr. Geddes pursues this and others like yourself participate.
Thinking about it this is what these forums should be doing.
With the speaker talent that posts here it would be very informative.
This seems to be something that the SD guys would appreciate since their systems are very sensitive to placement.
I know you can explain many of the effects and causes that result in particular sound behaviour; but there is nothing like personal reports.
Just try to keep the focus on exposing trends and impressions.
Dictate up-front that it is not a competition and that anything not pertinate will be moved to another thread.

Re: Image perception [message #14989 is a reply to message #14987] Mon, 23 May 2005 18:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Earl Geddes is currently offline  Earl Geddes
Master
Yep

And that doesn't happen in a few seconds or minutes.

Re: Image perception [message #14990 is a reply to message #14988] Mon, 23 May 2005 18:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

With my seven π's, I find that as long as I'm further than about a foot and a half back, I can move around in the room and the balance doesn't change much. The speaker images pretty much the same thoughout the room, except at extremes like right up against the wall.

With three π's and four π's, this is true for the most part, but their placement dictates that to some degree. If they're in corners, it's nearly the same. If they are against a wall but walls on either side are very far away, then they have a cone where sound is good. They act like you're talking about. If they're pulled out away from walls, out into the middle of the room, then they seem to form pockets of good sound.

The one π, two π and two π towers are best when toed in to within 30° or so. Best listening is on-axis, and distance from them changes their character, not as much as movement off-axis, but more than the other models of π speakers.

That's how I would describe the models I'm most familiar with, in 500 words or less.

Re: Image perception [message #14991 is a reply to message #14990] Mon, 23 May 2005 20:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
You can use some more words. I now have to start really listening to the 4's and deciding on some recognisable parameters.

Re: Image perception [message #14992 is a reply to message #14991] Mon, 23 May 2005 21:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Nope, 500 words was the limit this evening. I was too tired to write any more than that.

Re: Image perception [message #14993 is a reply to message #14977] Tue, 24 May 2005 04:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bob Brines is currently offline  Bob Brines
Master
I ran your test.

The setup: Single driver speakers -- the Fostex's I had at GPAF -- 8' apart, 3' from the back wall. Room open on the left, glass wall (windows) 3' to the right. Normal listening position 11' back. Normal toe-in has the cross 9' from the speakers.

With the 45° cross and at my normal distance, the sound stage is diffuse with little or no imaging. At 6', everything comes together. Wide, deep sound stage and very good imaging. The sweet spot is head-lock small. Moving in farther, the sound stage keeps expanding to the speaker width, but imaging becomes exaggerated left-right.

Back to my normal setup. I don't have any 5.1 or better audio and my surrounds are OK for movies, but too far apart for music. All of my listening is in stereo or 2.1 -- I have a sub crossed to the Fostex pipes at 40 Hz. Nice deep sound stage with a sweet spot about 2' wide aimed at the middle of a love seat. Both seats get decent imaging, but the imaging is very good in the sweet spot. The right speaker "disappears", but the left one always seems to draw a bit of attention. Most orchestral music seems to be left channel heavy, since thats where the bulk of the violins are. Small ensemble music seems to spread across the sound stage correctly. Of course, imaging is exactly what the recording engineer wants it to be -- a problem I have with the whole imaging fetish.

As I said, I listen in stereo almost exclusively. The room is a bit dry, but as long as there is decent ambiance on the recording itself, the presentation is acceptable. When guests come over who don't know or care about imaging and sound stage, I play Alison Kraus, Diana Krall or the like through the Pro Logic function of my HT receiver and run the receiver in 5.1. Now the music comes from everywhere and is diffuse, warm and fuzzy. That's what the great unwashed wants to hear. God save Dr. Bose.

Bob

Re: Image perception [message #14994 is a reply to message #14992] Tue, 24 May 2005 05:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Your working too hard man. Get some sun fer crissakes. No one on their deathbed ever said "Gee; I wish I spent more time at work."

Re: Image perception [message #14995 is a reply to message #14994] Tue, 24 May 2005 06:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Sounds like a good idea. And now the doctors are back to saying a little sun is good for you, just like the good ol' 1950's! Time to get out on the motorcycle, maybe run out to the lake and grab some fried mushrooms and a burger. Can't be too healthy, you know, it's bad for you!

P.S. [message #14996 is a reply to message #14993] Tue, 24 May 2005 07:18 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Bob Brines is currently offline  Bob Brines
Master
This morning, I turned on the Sirius channel 6080 -- Classical Symphony -- through my Dish satellite system. They played a CD reissue of an old '60s Beethoven concerto recording by George SZell and the Cleveland Symphony Orchestra. Strictly two mic stuff. My speakers dissapeared. Great wide, deep sound stage and reasonable imaging, given that this is a large orchestra. Q.E.D. -- modern multi-mic'ing sucks.

BTW, do you have any idea what the technical specs are for the Sirius feed through Dish? It sounds pretty good, although obviously compressed in dynamics.

Bob

Previous Topic: power tapering and l-pads
Next Topic: epiphany model 6-6 /12-12
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon May 06 21:55:23 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers