Home » Audio » Speaker » Yamaha NS-1000M
Yamaha NS-1000M [message #14883] Wed, 02 March 2005 05:42 Go to next message
Howard is currently offline  Howard
Baron

Dear Forum,

I have recently restored a rather badly treated pair of these speakers. My interested stemmed from my experience with a pair of NS-690 series 2 (also a fine speaker). I have had a serious interest in audio for at least 30 years and think myself pretty experienced.

These speakers are amazing. They are so completely musical and engaging I just cannot stop listening to them. I have played them at a reasonable volume and they just dont stress or become unbalanced in anyway. The mid range is absolutely one of the best I have ever heard.My foot seems to be tapping all the time.

I highly recommend that you all seek out a pair.

Its a shame the cabinets are so tatty around the edges. I was wondering if anyone has attempted to use the same drivers in a different enclosure?

Many Thanks

Howard
(sunshine coast queensland)

Re: Yamaha NS-1000M [message #14952 is a reply to message #14883] Wed, 04 May 2005 07:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sam is currently offline  sam
Esquire
hello,
i have a pair now for more than 25 years and they look news.
They are very dependant of the amp you use to feed them.
Seems to me that best amp is a tube amp class A .
You say you restored them. How?
Do you restored the cross-over? i have been wondering if the capacitors where chemicals or plastics without founding the answer.
did you upgrade the cables or get off the medium and high potentiometer?
Regards

Re: Yamaha NS-1000M [message #14954 is a reply to message #14952] Wed, 04 May 2005 14:01 Go to previous message
Howard is currently offline  Howard
Baron

Dear Sam,

HERE IS A PICTURE OF A YAMAHA MID JUST AFTER PAINT HAS BEEN REMOVED

The NS1000M is a high resolution speaker. I agree it will show up all sorts of variations in amplifier. I am very happy with the way it works with my Sony TA-N7 power amp. Its a super combination.

The speakers were in bad shape when they got to me. Both JA-3085A bass drivers had dropped magnets and were completely locked. (Electrically they were fine) The cabinets and other drivers were splattered with paint. They were also very smelly. I later found three dead mice inside behind the felt. The felt had to come out and needed replacing

I think this qualifies for the tem restoration

They now smell very nice indeed and sound excellent.

Cleaning the paint off the drivers was very hard slow work. (I had to remove the mesh covers from the mids and treble to do this.I tried to replace the 12in drive cones but it proved too difficult.

I needed to use a number of restoration products Waxes and stains to get the cabinets back to their current condition.

Howard

Previous Topic: Sealed compartments
Next Topic: questions on Coral drivers
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu May 02 09:56:07 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers