Home » Audio » Speaker » Where To Find An External Crossover Box
Where To Find An External Crossover Box [message #14887] Sun, 06 March 2005 15:06 Go to next message
FredT is currently offline  FredT
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Every time I build another speaker I mount the crossover inside the enclosure then regret that decision every time I have to remove the crossover to do some tweaking. It would make more sense to mount the crossover in an external box, at least until I'm finished tweaking. The ideal box would be about 8"X12"X4", made of relatively thin wood, attractive enough to be exposed to view, and of course inexpensive. Does anyone know where I can find such an animal? Hobby Lobby or some other craft store? I have no idea where to look. Suggestions?

Re: Where To Find An External Crossover Box [message #14888 is a reply to message #14887] Mon, 07 March 2005 08:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GarMan is currently offline  GarMan
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Michael's would have them.

Or you can go down to a tabacco store and get a couple of nice cigar boxes.

I'm only using plastic Hammond's for my crossover boxes.

Re: Where To Find An External Crossover Box [message #14889 is a reply to message #14888] Mon, 07 March 2005 16:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
FredT is currently offline  FredT
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Thanks, those are good suggestions. Another one I'm going to pursue is someone told me there's a wine store in Houston that sells a set of two or three bottles of wine in a nice looking dovetailed box with a lid. Of course I'll have to drink the wine, but I have also heard a good bottle of Merlot can improve the sound of a system more than a $1,000 pair of cables.

Re: Where To Find An External Crossover Box [message #14890 is a reply to message #14889] Mon, 07 March 2005 20:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Shucks, Fred, I'd think making a nice little crossover box would be the easy part after making a big pair of loudspeaker cabinets! I have them made for seven π loudspeakers because it just works out better than going into the bass bin and then out to the mid and tweeter horns. I would guess that the little crossover boxes must be easier than the rest of the system. And you can get creative and make them out of really cool wood.

Re: Where To Find An External Crossover Box [message #14891 is a reply to message #14888] Tue, 08 March 2005 05:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
DRC is currently offline  DRC
Master
I think a cigar box or a wine case, depending on your component size, would be excellent. That reminds me; I have had all the parts for a headphone amp project for about three years, and a small cigar box to house it, but that's another forum . . . .

DIY Crossover Box [message #14892 is a reply to message #14887] Thu, 10 March 2005 08:10 Go to previous message
elektratig is currently offline  elektratig
Grand Master
FredT,

If you have a tablesaw, I've posted about a box joint jig you can use to make a crossover box at the Craftsman Forum. The link to the plans is below.

Previous Topic: Port vs Sealed
Next Topic: Is there a formula to determine the frequency that a 1" throat 90x40degree horn begins to beam
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 14:54:16 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio