Home » Audio » Speaker » Report from Son&Image
Report from Son&Image [message #14577] Mon, 05 April 2004 14:43 Go to next message
GarMan is currently offline  GarMan
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Spent the weekend in Montreal at the Son&Image Festival. My first audio show and had a great time. Ate my share of Smoked Meat for the rest of the year. However, I was a little disappointed as I was expecting to hear "magic". Magic as in substantially better than what I'm used to from my own system. Magic as in all those amazing things that reviewers write about. Magic as in "It's like the band is in the room".

There were a few rooms that I really enjoyed though.

Song Audio had a couple of rooms with Loth-X speakers and their own electronics. The Loth-X Troubadour with Song Audio's 300B SET was very enjoyable. Up until that point, the only Loth-X that I was familiar with was their BS-1, which had a very "honky" sound. The bigger and more expensive Troubadour was much more natural, although it still had that paper sound. While the speakers were tonaly inaccurate, the dynamic realism blew me away. These speakers are effortless. More and more, tonality is starting to take a back seat to dynamic range for me. I'm not refering to shear volume, but rather the instantaneous change and range of volume you get within a single note or a singers voice. Sure, it's great to have both tonal and dynamic accuracy, but a ruler flat response at the expense of dynamics sounds dead. Not to name names, but those ruler-flat speakers with carbon/kevlar cones, 84dB sensitivities and more components in their crossover than most tube amps just didn't do anything for me.

Omega Loudspeaker made the trek from CT. Heard a lot about these guys on the Net and I was amazed how natural these single drivers sound. Of all the single drivers I heard at the show, these had the least amount of paper sound. Also love the way Omega can get such big sound from those 4 inch drivers. "Modified Fostex" was how they were described.

StudioLab was another room that I really enjoyed. These guys are located just 10 minutes from where I live, so I'm pretty familiar with their stuff. Very simple two way speakers with first order crossovers, but executed very well with high quality components. While these were not single drivers, they still had that "ease" of reproducing as the single drivers did. And none of that paper cone sound. There wasn't any one thing that was exceptional about them, but it did everything very well. Probably the best "all-arounder" for me at the show.

Another notable was Divertech, distributor of Copland, ASL, and Ref3a. They had their new Ref3a Dulcet, powered by an ASL Explorer, controlled by a Copland preamp. The Dulcets were small bookshelves with huge sound. Again, very effortless, probably due to its lack of crossovers (only one cap on the tweeter).

The biggest "Whatever!" came from the HK Rooms. They had one K2 S9800 sitting in the corner. I was very excited to see it and had a few questions for the reps. When asked if they were going to demo it at during the show, the answer was "No, it's too expensive to amp." "Oh," I thought. They must mean that if they amplify it, it becomes a demo unit, and therefore lose its value, kind of like taking a new car off the lot. That, I would understand. But no. According to the rep, it would be too expensive to get an amp big enough to power this speaker! But aren't these guys 94dB sensitive? And most of the British reviewers loved it even with low powered tube amps. "Well the room's too small for us to demo the speaker properly." The room was about 20x30. I think this guy has the K2 confused with JBL's Tour Sound arena speakers. What ended the conversation was when the rep said, with frustration, that they are not JBL, but Erikson Consumers, the distributor for HK, Infinity, and JBL products. That they are not at the show to promote just one product (ie, K2). Everything they do at the show must go towards helping their retailer partners sell all their product lines. In other words: We're only interested in selling mass marketed consumer home theatre systems, so please F-0ff. Obviously, these guys have never heard of halo brand effect. Does he have any idea how many Intrepids or Stratus the Viper has helped Dodge sell?

So, what did I get out of listening to over 70 systems in 12 hours over the course of two days?
- For me, dynamic range contributes more to realism than tonal accuracy, although it's nice to have both.
- My Pi's are pretty amazing considering I only spend a few hundred bucks on them. Of course the $20K speakers are better, but come on ... a few hundred bucks!
- First order multiways are under-rated. I'm starting to think that this is the best compromise between the ease of single driver and the range of multiways. Definately need to investigate this further.
- JBL will never establish themselves as a contender in the hi-end market in Canada as they have in Japan (and to some extent Europe) due to poor training and bad attitudes of their reps (yes, I'm bitter).

Gar.

Re: Report from Son&Image [message #14579 is a reply to message #14577] Mon, 05 April 2004 15:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Great write-up, thanks! I'm thinking that the reason the JBL K2 S9800 wasn't run is probably nothing like what you were told. Could be that they were afraid of the environment, and that the speaker might not sound good there. Could be something else, who knows. But it certainly wasn't that a good amp would have been a problem. That's the wierdest thing I ever heard.

Speakers with first order crossovers can sound pretty good. They have dense interference between drivers, so things balance out. They're pretty simple too. But as for me, I wouldn't want to run a modern 1" exit compression horn with a first order crossover. At least not the JBL 2426 or PSD2002 on a 800Hz or 1kHz horn. Using first-order crossovers with them doesn't sound very good, and power handling drops so dynamic range does too.

Re: First Order [message #14580 is a reply to message #14579] Tue, 06 April 2004 07:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GarMan is currently offline  GarMan
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Wayne, I would never consider 1st order with compressions. But cones and domes (and even piezos) do present new opportunities. I find the idea of 1st order, crossoverless, or very simple XO's very appealling and definately worth exploring.

BTW, didn't someone, at one time say:

"One of my favorite little bookshelf speakers of all time used a JBL Profesional Series 2115 - which is an 8" full range midwoofer - paired with a KSN 1038 tweeter. The only parts used were a 0.5mH coil in series with the (8 ohm) woofer and a 0.33uF capacitor in series with the tweeter. The coil tamed some rising response in the 8" driver and the capacitor attenuated the tweeter to match. Functionally, the speaker was crossoverless, like current models."

Gar.

Re: First Order [message #14581 is a reply to message #14580] Tue, 06 April 2004 10:17 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Yep, I ran JBL 2105's first order too when used with 2205's. Sounded real nice.

Previous Topic: New revised subhorn plans
Next Topic: Re: Can a notch filter improve phase lag?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat May 11 02:41:37 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio