Home » Audio » Speaker » Speaker Advancements
Speaker Advancements [message #14550] Thu, 18 March 2004 14:06 Go to next message
GarMan is currently offline  GarMan
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Let's see if we can get a discussion going on vintage/classic speakers vs modern speakers.

Has there been any substantial improvements in mass marketed speakers in the past 40/30/20 years? I had a chance to listen to an old pair of EV's in a second hand shop a while back and was blown away by how good it sounds. It was an old fashion 3-way with paper cones.

So what's going on? How can this speaker, design and built 30 to 40 years ago compete with modern speakers that are designed and simulated on computers, and incorporate every exotic material that was unknown to man a few years ago? These vintages aren't made of carbon, titanium, kevlar, or other exotic alloys. They're not precisely time aligned in driver arrangement nor are their enclosures computer designed to minimize interference and what not. You'd think that with all the advancements in material science, design process and measurement techniques, there's be a huge gap between today's speakers and those of yesteryears.

So, with all the modern tools we have at our disposal, do you think there has been any major advancements in speaker design and contruction? If so, what do you see them to be?

Gar.

Re: Speaker Advancements [message #14551 is a reply to message #14550] Thu, 18 March 2004 14:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
I think the biggest advance has been a result of magnetic modeling. Making the flux in the gap more symmetrical greatly reduces harmonic distortion. Other than that, I can't think of much that's really changed since the fixed magnet was first used. Now that I think about it, that might be a plug for the return of field coil speakers.

On a different tangent, I was intrigued by the ultrasonic beat frequency thing. I think there may be a link to it in the Exotic Audio forum. But I'm not sure the technology is ready for prime time.

Re: Speaker Advancements [message #14552 is a reply to message #14550] Thu, 18 March 2004 18:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Martinelli is currently offline  Bill Martinelli
Illuminati (1st Degree)

Materials and power handling have changed. Lots of materials used today that have taken the place of others. Kevlar, Titanium, Banana pulp paper? No more rotting foam surrounds. Beryllium and polyester. Todays speakers have less distortion and can handle a LOT more power. The good models still sound great and the shit still sounds bad. Todays good pro drivers cost a weeks pay. How much did an Altec or JBL cost in 1940?

Re: Speaker Advancements [message #14555 is a reply to message #14550] Sun, 21 March 2004 06:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
akhilesh is currently offline  akhilesh
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Hi Gar,
You may be comparing the best of many years ago (since the average and below has already gone) to the average and below of today. To be fair, we should compare the best of today with the best of yesterday (or the day before). That WOULD be intersting.
-akhilesh

Re: Speaker Advancements [message #14557 is a reply to message #14555] Mon, 22 March 2004 18:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
The last few times recently before I gave up and came to my senses that I entered an Audio Parlor... I was eithor bored or annoyed by the sound. Some of these 10k and up speakers make instruments sound like they are all different sizes, like in a cartoon. Anybody else notice this strange phenomena? Nothing like the impression of a 8 foot saxophone to brighten your day. Got Sun Ra and the Intergallactic Arkestra on the Pi4's now and instruments sound right. So I don't know if the comparison would be equitable since the old designers seemed to try for a natural sound and todays designers have all this personal criteria that bears no relation to live music it seems. There was a comparison in Listener Magazine between old and new. I beleive it was Scott tube stuff and Wharfdale sand boxed 12" Vs. Some new SS pricey stuff and Good speaks. They came to the conclusion that the old stuff sounded good on old recordings and unatural on the new recordings and vice versa. Made some sense actually.

Re: Speaker Advancements [message #14564 is a reply to message #14550] Sat, 27 March 2004 15:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wasteh202 is currently offline  wasteh202
Master
Garman

I have some vintage EV two way's. Unfortunatly they come short on the bottom and the top... but in the mids yes... they are eceptional. How do they do it... hmmmmmmm ??

In my opinion ... sensitivity, materials, design, and finally no XO.

Re: Speaker Advancements [message #14566 is a reply to message #14564] Sun, 28 March 2004 08:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hurdy_gurdyman is currently offline  hurdy_gurdyman
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Garman,
Which EV's do you have?

Dave

previous post should have been addressed to Wasteh202 [message #14567 is a reply to message #14566] Sun, 28 March 2004 08:47 Go to previous message
hurdy_gurdyman is currently offline  hurdy_gurdyman
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Sorry about name mix-up.

Dave

Previous Topic: listening to 206's
Next Topic: audio meeting
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun May 12 21:07:37 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio