Home » Audio » Speaker » Adjusting for difference in gain in biamping
Adjusting for difference in gain in biamping [message #14501] Mon, 09 February 2004 14:07 Go to next message
GarMan is currently offline  GarMan
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Not sure if this goes in Speakers or Amp, but here it goes.
After completing my first chip amp, I started to experiement with a biamp configuration. However, I've noticed that my chip and tube amp are of different gain. The tube has a higher output.

What is the normal proceedure in correcting for this? Should adjustments be made in the amps or at the crossover? What are the methods to find the exact amount of adjustment?

thanks,
gar.

Re: Adjusting for difference in gain in biamping [message #14502 is a reply to message #14501] Mon, 09 February 2004 14:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Use a trim pot to set the input level of the louder amp. Install it exactly as you would a volume control potentiometer.

Re: Adjusting for difference in gain in biamping [message #14503 is a reply to message #14502] Mon, 09 February 2004 15:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GarMan is currently offline  GarMan
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Is this following the rule of thumb that adjustments are best made earlier than later? ie) line level vs. output level.

Re: Adjusting for difference in gain in biamping [message #14504 is a reply to message #14503] Mon, 09 February 2004 21:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
There are always many ways to perform a task. I wasn't really suggesting one way over another, or looking into any particular issues. I was just saying that you could easily implement a gain control on the amp of a subsystem that was louder than the other(s).

Re: Adjusting for difference in gain in biamping [message #14505 is a reply to message #14503] Tue, 10 February 2004 07:45 Go to previous message
Bill Martinelli is currently offline  Bill Martinelli
Illuminati (1st Degree)
If the gain on the hot sub system can't be controlled by the active crossover, then as Wayne suggest use a trim pot. I usually put a 100k pot between the input jacks and the amplifier. I like to put a DPDT switch to bypass the pot's too.

All these crazy extras are going to give your black box with a light a whole new look. Nice job on that amp. Holy transformer batman!

Bill

Previous Topic: Questions about piezo super tweet
Next Topic: PVC Pipe speaker update
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu May 09 15:26:31 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers