Home » Audio » Source » Is the sound quality of digital really as good as analoge?
Is the sound quality of digital really as good as analoge? [message #14332] Sun, 13 August 2006 12:09 Go to next message
telegraph.hill is currently offline  telegraph.hill
Viscount
Of course we all know of the advantages of digital, but is the sound quality really as good as that of analogue?

Why do so many people still buy vinyl?

Re: Is the sound quality of digital really as good as analoge? [message #14333 is a reply to message #14332] Tue, 22 August 2006 14:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
akhilesh is currently offline  akhilesh
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
In my opinion, they like the EQ curve, and many have large record collections. Also, engineers knew how to master vinyl, but it took them a LONG time to learn to mastre CDs, which are Eqd flat.
-akhilesh

Re: Is the sound quality of digital really as good as analoge? [message #14334 is a reply to message #14333] Fri, 08 September 2006 14:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
telegraph.hill is currently offline  telegraph.hill
Viscount
What's the EQ curve? What are its axes?

Re: Is the sound quality of digital really as good as analoge? [message #14340 is a reply to message #14334] Wed, 25 October 2006 07:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cfranz is currently offline  cfranz
Chancellor
Since no-one else replied, I will.

Look up RIAA equalization on the web. Plenty of information. There are several tutorials with lots of math and curve plots.

As for whether it sounds better or not. Beats me. I have lots of records so I listen to them. I also have lots of CDs. I prefer the records but... My turntable, cartridge, pre-amp, etc. is of much higher quality then my CD stuff (currently).

Interestingly I am developing the opinion that, dollar for dollar, currently, the best CD reproduction out performs the best Vinyl reproduction. I've listened to truly stunning systems for both and the dollars to reach stunning for CD is, I believe, now below that(sometimes well below) that of vinyl.

YMMV, void where prohibited by law, pay no attention to the man behind the curtain, etc., etc.

Re: Is the sound quality of digital really as good as analoge? [message #14342 is a reply to message #14340] Wed, 01 November 2006 15:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Crazy Dave is currently offline  Crazy Dave
Viscount
I beg to disagree. You are probably correct if you talking about new, but very good quality turntables are available very cheap. My best find was a Linn LP12 with a Grace 707 for $25.00 in a thrift store. Add another $200 for a belt, springs, felt matt and a Shure M97xe and you are getting very good sound. OK, this is an extreme case but I see fantastic turntables at the thrift all the time. I have so many, I've stopped buying them!(My CD player is an Acurus.) Add that to the fact that you can buy records for $1 a pop and vinyl is still you cheapest entertainment value.

I have some of the best sounding vinyl that you can buy in my collection. I have Shaded Dogs, Mercury Living Presence, Mobile Fidelity UHQR's, 6-eyed Columbia, DG Tulips, Beatles British and German pressings, etc. However, I'm not convinced it is the medium. I have some very good sounding CDs, so I admit that it can be done, but a far greater portion of my record collection sounds good. Most of my CD's sound like they are poorly mixed. Popular music can be horrible. You do fare much better with classical if you choose carefully. It doesn't really matter if CD has the potential to be as good or even better than vinyl. The reality is that it more often CDs don’t measure up!

Dave

Re: Is the sound quality of digital really as good as analoge? [message #14345 is a reply to message #14342] Thu, 02 November 2006 07:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cfranz is currently offline  cfranz
Chancellor
re. I beg to disagree.

Don't have to beg, man. I welcome the exchange of ideas.

No disagreement. It has taken the industry 30 years to learn how to mix for a digital medium. But then also, many, if not most, rock albums have ALWAYS been engineered by a dyslexic orangutan.

Then also, almost ALL of the new wax has been 'digitally' re-mastered. So... what's the difference?

Peace,
Carl

Re: Is the sound quality of digital really as good as analoge? [message #14346 is a reply to message #14345] Thu, 02 November 2006 10:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Crazy Dave is currently offline  Crazy Dave
Viscount
I would refer you to original issue 2-eyed Columbia albums such as Santana's first and Big Brother and the Holding Company, Cheap Thrills. These sound fantastic on vinyl. One CD that they got the digital remaster right is West Side Story. It sound better than the vinyl and I have both.

Dave

Re: Is the sound quality of digital really as good as analoge? [message #14359 is a reply to message #14332] Sat, 09 December 2006 20:10 Go to previous message
RickeyM is currently offline  RickeyM
Esquire
I'm starting to think of it this way. Digital is better, it's just the implementation limits it. It seems to me that digital playback is so revealing that any weak links in the chain can cause the audio quality be not at it's best. That chain includes everything from the mechanical systems to the electrical components as well. An example is the change in audio sound & characteristics I experienced when I lopped off the stock nickel plated blade, molded OEM plug on my CD player and installed one with polished brass blades. The best mod men out there pay special attention to the things that affect the sound and improve them. Taking us closer to the true potential that digital playback has to offer.

Well, that's just my two cents worth...

Previous Topic: Thorens TD-150 hum
Next Topic: Another vinyl score in the works.....
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri May 03 23:24:52 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio