Home » Audio » Source » SONY cds...WARNING
SONY cds...WARNING [message #14278] Sat, 05 November 2005 10:53 Go to next message
Russellc is currently offline  Russellc
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Perhaps I am behind times, but while surfing computer info site I have run into a very interesting thing that Sony is doing with their cds. Frankly, I will boycott this crap. they install something called a "CD root kit" in the data, which is a type of copy code protection. When you stick it in your computer, it installs some (way simple and way dangerous) crap in your registry, which is cloaked by the way. It is way simple in that it is easy to defeat, and way dangerous because ANYTHING including ultra malicious crap could also be stuck in here. Once installed, it limits the number of times something can be copied. Decloaking these files and then removing them is easy, but will disable windows based computers, so the the cd rom is useless! there is already tons of info out there on this, as well as cures and preventions. Google search "sony cdroot kit" Most alarming. Myself, while I advocate boycott, I think it might be a good idea to go out and buy just one, save it and the receipt and wait for the class action law suit.

Russellc

Re: SONY cds...WARNING [message #14447 is a reply to message #14278] Sat, 13 October 2007 18:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Crystal is currently offline  Crystal
Viscount
That sure sounds scary after doing a google search about it. I hope that my computer stays away from this rootkit because it would take me a few hours just to reformat my 750GB internal hard drive. LOL. Too long of a process for me to do it again.

Crystal

Re: SONY cds...WARNING [message #62110 is a reply to message #14278] Tue, 16 March 2010 17:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Maxie is currently offline  Maxie
Chancellor
Thanks for posting this. I had no idea that Sony was doing this. I will be very careful about the CDs that I buy. I don't need any malicious software in my computer.
Re: SONY cds...WARNING [message #62113 is a reply to message #62110] Tue, 16 March 2010 18:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Here's a real good rootkit remover:
Re: SONY cds...WARNING [message #62200 is a reply to message #62113] Sat, 27 March 2010 12:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
candoon is currently offline  candoon
Baron
No offense at all, but I just do not get why people who have amazing stereo systems will listen to stuff on their computer. Unless you are breaking out a top of the line system for your PC/Mac as well, it just sounds bad - shouldn't that be enough to avoid things like this in the first place?
Re: SONY cds...WARNING [message #62202 is a reply to message #62200] Sat, 27 March 2010 14:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I tend to agree. There are some good digital formats, but the more common compressed stuff doesn't sound all that hot. On a mediocre system, I suppose it doesn't matter much but on a good system it sounds absolutely horrible. Then again, so many people listening to music on their cell phones would never hear the difference.

Re: SONY cds...WARNING [message #62318 is a reply to message #14278] Sun, 11 April 2010 09:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sadie is currently offline  Sadie
Chancellor
While I'm sure you're right about sound quality, I still find it very disturbing that Sony is participating in such practices. What is their motivation behind this?
Re: SONY cds...WARNING [message #62320 is a reply to message #62318] Sun, 11 April 2010 09:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

When I was talking about quality, I wasn't saying I thought Sony stuff was good (or bad, for that matter). I was talking about digital audio in general. There are lots of formats, and they range from really good (high res lossless) to mediocre to downright bad. It was really a slightly off-topic comment in reply to candoon's observation that some PC audio sounds bad.

In truth, the rootkit that was introduced on Sony music CDs has nothing to do with the content, it's part of the delivery system, which are two different things. Now days, you'll find rootkits are mainly distributed on the internet similarly to the way viruses are spread. They are used to cloak other viruses. Here's a link with more info:

Re: SONY cds...WARNING [message #62513 is a reply to message #62320] Wed, 05 May 2010 09:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
candoon is currently offline  candoon
Baron
I get that and I hope you don't take offense but I am just an old grumpy geek that is tired of dealing with rootkits and the such. I am also tired of traffic, music going down hill, gas prices increasing. Smile
Re: SONY cds...WARNING [message #63751 is a reply to message #62513] Mon, 09 August 2010 00:09 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Frontrowticket is currently offline  Frontrowticket
Chancellor
Haha Candoon, you sound like my Dad. I wonder if there is any more news on this topic. I don't listen to music on my PC because I don't need to, but there are plenty who have no option.
Previous Topic: CDs to iPOD
Next Topic: Windows XP warning
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 13:49:56 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout