Home » Audio » Source » Onix XCD-88
Re: OP Amp Upgrade [message #14235 is a reply to message #14234] Fri, 22 July 2005 17:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

There is a wide variation in opamp prices and performance levels, especially in terms of S/N, distortion and drift. But as you've noted, the most expensive parts are still pretty cheap. It adds up when you're doing thousands though, so that's why the low cost players use parts that cost pennies instead of dollars.

Re: OP Amp Upgrade - OT [message #14236 is a reply to message #14235] Sat, 23 July 2005 06:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
FredT is currently offline  FredT
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Yep, if you're diy'ing you can build a component for the cost of its parts plus some sweat equity, but if you're building to sell to others through mainstream retail channels the final price will be at least five times or more the cost of the parts. All that extra money is necessary to cover office and plant overhead, labor costs (benefits, soc sec, unemployment ins, workers comp), product liabilty insurance, taxes, advertising, distribution costs, and of course the retailer's markup. Many are horrified by the amout of markup for high end audio components, but it's more understandable to someone who has owned a business that sells relatively low volumes of a premium product.

And now, back on topic: When I first played the Onix with the stock op amps the center image dominated the sound. Sounds from the right and left of center were subdued and lacked any front-to-back placement. The ambient sounds that give clues to location were almost entirely absent. With the upgrade op amps, after one night of playing on repeat, I'm finding the center image is subdued and the sound is tilted toward the right and left. But this time I'm going to hold off from judging the sound until the thing has had at least 50 more hours of breakin time. This is the first time I have bought a new source component and listened carefully to the soundstage imaging, and it's amazing how it changes with breakin time.

The stock op amps are not soldered, just plugged into sockets on the player's main circuit board. The upgrade op amps are soldered to their adapter boards, but the adapter boards just plug into the same sockets on the circuit board. Proper orientation on the adapter boards and the player's circuit board is indicated on each board and on the op amps. Since it's just plug-in change, I believe I reinstall the stock op amps after the new ones have broken in and do a comparison. I'll post my findings.

If anyone is intersested, the op amps are from USA Caps' Ebay store at http://stores.ebay.com/USA-Caps-Inc_Op-Amps_W0QQcolZ2QQdirZ1QQftidZ1QQtZkm

The adpters are part number 021001 at http://cimarrontechnology.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=5

Re: OP Amp Upgrade [message #14237 is a reply to message #14234] Sat, 23 July 2005 20:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GarMan is currently offline  GarMan
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Thanks for the heads-up on the OPA627 Fred. I'd always thought the Burr Brown OPA2134 was a highend opamp. Many kits suggest using the 2134 as an upgrade. The phono stage I build using these sound very good to me. But I'd definately experiment with the OPA627 this Fall when I start my active crossover project.

Gar.

OPA2134 Is A High End Op Amp [message #14238 is a reply to message #14237] Sun, 24 July 2005 07:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
FredT is currently offline  FredT
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I'm only repeating what I have read here, but the 2134 used in the Music Hall and the 2604 used in the Onix are very good OPA's. The 627 is more highly regarded but is quite a bit more expensive. As far as I am aware the 627 is used only on the more expensive players like the $5,000 Shanling SCD-T300. None of these really are expensive parts, but the $5 price of the 627, combined with the fact that you need four of them versus only two of the others, would be considered high by a manufacturer. We are able to buy a player for $300-$600 only because the most expensive parts in it seldom cost them more than a few cents wholesale.

Re: Onix XCD-88 [message #14258 is a reply to message #14223] Tue, 30 August 2005 10:43 Go to previous message
Shane is currently offline  Shane
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
So what do you think of the player now that you've had the upgrade chips in for a while?

Previous Topic: turntable advice?
Next Topic: Cartridge selection question
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon May 06 12:21:41 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout