Home » Audio » Source » DAC's sound
DAC's sound [message #14202] Sat, 12 March 2005 11:52 Go to next message
jim denton is currently offline  jim denton
Master
I have been thinking up installing a DAC and using Rotel for a transport---all I 've read is how this gives a "analog" sound---can I get "too tubey" ??? This may get real picky--but I was thinking of getting a 45 or 300b amp as the 2A3 is "driier"--but I was also hearing the 2A3 is "clean and lean"---so , my round about thoughts are: mate a DAC to a 2A3 tube vs a 300b? Jim

Re: DAC's sound [message #14203 is a reply to message #14202] Sat, 12 March 2005 17:07 Go to previous message
DRC is currently offline  DRC
Master
Gear that uses tubes doesn't necessarily sound "tubey". It's quite possible to put an all tube component system together that sounds very musical but at the same time neutral. It would sound warm to those who generally listen to all solid state systems, but natural to those who listen to unamplified music.

On another front, tubes are not really the key to great digital (natural, musical) sound. Having a digital pulse transformer on the DAC input or transport output, or both is important; avoiding digital filters, or filters altogether is very helpful; how the I/V conversion is performed makes a difference, and despite all the marketing hype, up and oversampling doesn't gain you a thing musically.

Yes, this lines up with the stuff I distribute, but it also lines up with what I've heard along the way and is my personal, as well as professional, opinion.

Previous Topic: Looking for a universal player....
Next Topic: dac's
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 01:22:23 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout