Home » Audio » Source » Rotel 1072
Rotel 1072 [message #14187] Wed, 09 February 2005 11:46 Go to next message
jim denton is currently offline  jim denton
Master
Bought the new Rotel CD player based mostly on TAS review---but have no idea of older units that may be better sound? Has anyone any experience with Arcam or Arye? looking (again!) for a 2-4 year old hi end CD player Jim

Re: Rotel 1072 [message #14188 is a reply to message #14187] Wed, 23 February 2005 18:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Are you looking because you didn't like the Rotel?

Re: Rotel 1072 [message #14189 is a reply to message #14187] Fri, 25 February 2005 11:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
DRC is currently offline  DRC
Master
What's the rest of your system, and do you have a price range in mind?

Re: Rotel 1072 [message #14190 is a reply to message #14189] Tue, 01 March 2005 07:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jim denton is currently offline  jim denton
Master
Running Voight pipes with FE166E fostex (and a tweeter on the rear side---the Rotel directly into a Sansui 500A (reconditioned) or a 240 Intergrated Pilot or and my main amp presently is a 3.5 SET DIY from abraxus audio --- Just bought a pair of fostex 168 sigma's to try in the pipes but bought them with the intent to build Heruka rear loaded horns also may try to mod the pipes for my 206's also-- had some guys over a few weeks back to ;hear the pipes and their feedback was encouraging---and one of the guys thought a Meridian CD player used was a good upgrade --I think he mentioned a 588 model---Jim

Re: Rotel 1072 [message #14191 is a reply to message #14190] Tue, 01 March 2005 09:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
DRC is currently offline  DRC
Master
The Meridian would be a good upgrade, as would a used Audio Note CD21.x or 3.1x. Obviously I have a bias, so I won't offer a preference.

Abraxus Audio [message #14192 is a reply to message #14190] Fri, 04 March 2005 04:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Sorry to derail the thread, but I'm glad you mentioned the name of that amp. I forgot the name when I wrote up our meeting at your place, then got busy and forgot to even ask you to refresh my memory. But I really dug the looks and sound of that amp. Blue on blue, too cool. Didja ever get that blue power LED to go with it? Need one?

Arcam [message #14198 is a reply to message #14187] Wed, 09 March 2005 15:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
FredT is currently offline  FredT
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I had an Arcam Alpha 7SE and I wasn't impressed at all with it. My older Marantz CD67Se sounded better and cost half as much.

Another approach you might want to consider is using your Rotel as a transport and getting a DAC. The newer non-oversampling dacs are really good values. I really like the Scott Nixon tube dac which sells for aobut $250 in kit form, $450 assembled. I also heard a new $450 dac by Audio Mirror last week and liked it a lot. There's a link below. Vlad, the head guy at Audio Mirror, is a fellow member of the Houston Audio Society, and if the GPAF happens I'll try to get him to participate as an exhibitor.

On Second Thought [message #14199 is a reply to message #14198] Thu, 10 March 2005 14:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
FredT is currently offline  FredT
Illuminati (1st Degree)
After I posted the above response I dug out some old Absolute Sound mags and and found a review of the Rotel 1072 player (Feb/Mar 2004). Whenever I hear the words Rotel and Adcom I think mid-fi; better than mass market but not "high end", whatever that is. However, in this case, according to the review, the 1072 is one of those overachiever CD players that sells for under 1K but provides 90% of the sound quality of the $3K players - not bad. Maybe you should just leave it as it is and enjoy it. Some believe that upgrades like power cords, cones, better interconnects etc can enhance a player's sound; I don't know.

I'll bring my Scott Nixon DAC to the GPAF and let you try it for the weekend, but I wouldn't be surprised if the Rotel sounds just as good without it.

The "claim to fame" of the SN Dac and the Audio Mirror DAC is that they don't use oversampling therefore they don't have a lowpass filter with its typical phase distortion. It's just your CD player's transport feeding the DAC through a digital cable, a buffer stage, then direct thru the interconnects to your preamp.

Re: On Second Thought [message #14200 is a reply to message #14199] Thu, 10 March 2005 20:50 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I remember a big flame-fest on Audio Asylum a few years back on this topic, centered around Audio Note's non-oversampling DAC. Akhilesh and I were discussing it one day and we started a thread here on AudioRoundTable.com, hoping it would result in more level-headed, productive discussions. But this was when ART was new, and not many people participated in the discussion. I'd sure like to examine it more though.
Previous Topic: Im new and Need Help
Next Topic: What stain color/shade on a VPI walnut base?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 02:51:06 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio