Home » Audio » Source » SACD
SACD [message #14071] Wed, 28 January 2004 16:53 Go to next message
Khorn is currently offline  Khorn
Esquire
So far I have been very impressed with SACD. I find that it adds a sense of "musicality" previously unattainable with RBCD. It also eliminates a certain amount of "digital grunge" that I've detected in most RBCD reproduction. I guess the best way that I can describe SACD sound is "relaxed and musical" with these attributes present SACDs derived from both very well recordrd older master tapes such as Dave Brubeck's 'Time Out' or newly recorded material like the Alison Krauss and Union Station recordings.

Any thoughts?

Re: SACD [message #14072 is a reply to message #14071] Wed, 28 January 2004 17:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Martinelli is currently offline  Bill Martinelli
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Yeah, It's just plain better in all respects. I'd like it more if there were more artist and labels and they didnt charge as much.

Bill

Re: SACD [message #14073 is a reply to message #14072] Thu, 29 January 2004 04:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Esquire
That'll come in time. I've been encouraged lately with the ever increasing number of titles coming out. I think once the "format war" between the SACD (Sony) and DVD-A (Warner) camps is over there will be a proliferation of SACD titles hitting the market.

One great site dedicated to SA-CD (the new "official" name ??? ) is as follows. It is the most comprehensive resource dedicated to released and to be released SA-CD titles as well as readers' reviews and discussion that I am aware of.

Re: SACD [message #14076 is a reply to message #14071] Mon, 09 February 2004 10:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
DRC is currently offline  DRC
Master
I've got to disagree here. I've been playing a Sony 9000 DVD/SACD/CD player for quite a while, and within that player, the SACD playback kicks the tar out of CD. But other CD players and DACs have bested Sony's SACD, leaving it sounding smooth, polite and boring.

A bigger shock came last week when I heard a friend's Sony 999, highly modified by a well-known company. In this case, the CD playback was pretty good, but the SACD was completely, utterly uninvolving. This was using single layer discs of classical music recorded in DSD to begin with. Rules out the "oh, it was suffering at the hands of outdated original recording technology" or "the dual layer thing has problems." The playing field appeared either to be level, or to favor SACD, but it lost, and badly. Yes, there was a comparison to a CD transport/DAC combo totaling identical dollars ($5k), with the same result as was obtained with the un-modded Sony 9000.

I'm being vague partly due to my business interest in one of the players in these shoot-outs, and partly because the friend will be writing a review on the Sony 999, so I don't want to steal his limelight.

Re: SACD [message #14077 is a reply to message #14071] Mon, 09 February 2004 13:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Seeker is currently offline  Seeker
Baron
I've had mixed results while listening to a SACD player, going from completely non-involving to sounding better than anything I've heard. It wasn't just the CD in the player; I've heard the same thing with other players.

I decided to purchase an Arcam CD73, (which is not a SACD player), and could not be happier.

Re: SACD [message #14078 is a reply to message #14076] Mon, 09 February 2004 16:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Esquire
I guess all I can say is that I'm quite satisfied with the SACD experience as I stated in my initial post and all I'm using is an "unmodified" stock Sony SCD-1 for my front end.

Re: Sorry guys, this is all academic...... [message #14087 is a reply to message #14071] Sat, 28 February 2004 14:39 Go to previous message
BillEpstein is currently offline  BillEpstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
..........'cause when you can see, you are in the audience. And when you are in the audience, there is no detail, there is no imaging, no grunge or
Previous Topic: Re: More on DIY turntables The Sandblaster
Next Topic: AR XB1 running again
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon May 13 18:33:03 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout