Home » Audio » Source » Happy New Year! Let's get this party started!
Happy New Year! Let's get this party started! [message #14060] Thu, 01 January 2004 10:03 Go to next message
DRC is currently offline  DRC
Master
What CD player/transport/DAC are you listening to? What characteristics lead you to that choice? What others did you audition or have you owned previously, and how does your current choice improve your listening experience over the others?

Re: Happy New Year! Let's get this party started! [message #14061 is a reply to message #14060] Fri, 02 January 2004 01:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
I'm running a Sony CE345 on my main system and a handful of others in places like the office, the living room and the bedroom. Nothing real fancy but they sound pretty good.

Then again, compared to audio equipment in 1980, any CD or DVD player is "fancy." I can remember digitizing audio in the 70's and saving it to disk; Playback was the reverse and you could only get a few seconds at rates that would allow the full audio spectrum. Not too difficult to get vocal range for extended periods, but since 50Mb disk drives were the size of washing mashines, you just couldn't do the same things you can do today. Twenty years later and you can store a gigabyte on a 5.25" media. If we maintain the same rate, we will be storing 50 terrabytes in a pea-sized pod by 2020 - And we're not maintaining the same rate, we're accelerating.

The advances in digital technologies make most of the other fields in audio look like stone knives to me. Loudspeakers haven't really changed in 100 years, no matter what spin is proffered by those pushing them. Magnetic tape development is pretty much stagnant, and turntables are really more of an art than a technology. No offense meant to anyone in these fields - I'm involved in building loudspeakers, you know, and I take great pride in making a good product. Turntable builders may also advance their craft and make beautiful instruments. But the point is that there are no greater leaps than those made by the computer guys, and the difference in improvements is probably on the order of million-fold per decade.

Re: Happy New Year! Let's get this party started! [message #14064 is a reply to message #14060] Wed, 14 January 2004 19:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gumby1 is currently offline  gumby1
Viscount
I have an Audio by Van Alstine OmegaStar "R" DAC with a Denon DCM-380 as transport using Coax Digital cable by Heartland Cables with Eichmann Bullet Plugs. I'm very happy with AVA products and their service is really outstanding. I looked at several DACs, but thought the AVA DAC was the best value. I'm sure you'll get plenty of opinions since everyone has their own criteria for what makes up a good system.

Re: Happy New Year! Let's get this party started! [message #14065 is a reply to message #14061] Thu, 15 January 2004 12:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
akhilesh is currently offline  akhilesh
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
NAD c541i here, and also a sony xa20ES. I agree with Wayne, any good $500 CD player today is WAYYY better than a $3500 dollar CD player from even 5 years ago.
AS proof, I went over to a local dealer and borrowed a krell HAV 300CD, a $3500 machine in 1998 thaat got GOOD reviews in stereophile. I AB'd it in my system with the NAD c541i (a $500 machine in 2003, that is now available for $375).

While the Krell had slightly better detail, there was unfortunately a metallic quality to it that just did not sound right. Violins felt like the musician was using a metallic bow. It was just not as musical as the nAD C541i, which is pretty good at detailing also, but which has a more musical sound.

ANyways, the experience convinced me to not buy older stuff in the digital world, but to buy a new DAC. SO i am saving up for one!
-akhilesh

I went against my instinct & bought eqalry 1990s solid state [message #14074 is a reply to message #14065] Sun, 08 February 2004 12:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Hi Everyone,
While most of my audio purchase decisions are rational, sometimes I just go seat of the pants impulse. This happened when i bought my used klipschorns (whcih are actuallt quite awesome) and has happened again, i hope for the better: instead of buying a state of the art dac like the benchmark, i spent the money to buy a museatex cdd transport and a museatex bitstream dac from the early 1990s. I will get them modded from the one guy who mods them later on. I still haven;t gotten them, but will let you know how they sound.
The reason i did this craziness is i realized that analog output is the main deal with dacs, and the initial dac stuff does not do that much.
So i have decided to go this route and see what happens.
good thng is, this combo still sells very well on the web so i can get rid of it if i don't like it! From what i have heard it should be good, esp. after the output stage is modded into class A.
will keep you all posted.
-akhilesh

Re: I went against my instinct & bought eqalry 1990s solid state [message #14080 is a reply to message #14074] Mon, 16 February 2004 16:04 Go to previous message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
He He. I take back what i said about older electronics not being as good as newer. I should have said MOST older electronics.
The combo is FABUlous, even unmodded. Knocks my NADc541i & sony XA20ES out the water in tmers of reduced digital glare (at last i know what glare IS and what all these analog maniacs have been griping about!!)
Will mod the DAC in summer. The transport does not need mods.
off to enjoy my new source..
-akhilesh

Previous Topic: Turntable Parts
Next Topic: More on DIY turntables The Sandblaster
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue May 14 15:30:17 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers