Home » Audio » General » Who knows something about metals?
Who knows something about metals? [message #1384] Sun, 20 March 2005 17:04 Go to next message
BillEpstein is currently offline  BillEpstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
The top plate on my Ariston TT is a problem. When I got it (20 years used of course)the metal was darkly stained with dirt. I cleaned the deeply brushed material, aluminum altho' it could be stainless,with mineral spirits and the Magic Eraser and then wiped on - wiped off Never Dull, again with the whie Magic Eraser. Nice and shiny!
Now after a month the same dingy grey soil marks are back. Is it tarnish of some sort. Would it be worth it to remove (a real PITA) and give it an acid or some kind of bath and lacquer or plate or what?
I hardly ever vacuum my place but it's really importan to me that the Turntable shine! Ya know?

Re: Who knows something about metals? [message #1385 is a reply to message #1384] Sun, 20 March 2005 17:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Betcha it's oxidizing. You might want to apply a clear coat to prevent this.

Re: Who knows something about metals? [message #1386 is a reply to message #1384] Sun, 20 March 2005 17:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
guitarplayer is currently offline  guitarplayer
Baron
I used to have two Ariston tables, one of the metal ones that the JA Michell looks like and the one that Linn modeled theirs after. I don't know what kind of horrible paint Ariston used, but it always looked faded and nasty,no matter how often I cleaned it. I finally ended up getting the metal pieces acid dipped and re-powder coated.

Regards,

Lee

Re: Who knows something about metals? [message #1387 is a reply to message #1384] Sun, 20 March 2005 19:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wunhuanglo is currently offline  wunhuanglo
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I don't know what a magic eraser is (I know what it is conceptually, but I have no idea what it's made of) but it may well be your problem now.

As wayne says, it's probably oxidation, but it may be the oxidation of residue deep in the brush marks of the metal.

Before I tried anything else I'd try the Never Dull again (the cotton batten impregnated kind?) by itself, or some Brasso and a clean cotton rag, something like that.

Hey Bill, how'd you make out? [message #1394 is a reply to message #1384] Sat, 26 March 2005 08:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wunhuanglo is currently offline  wunhuanglo
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
nt

Re: Hey Bill, how'd you make out? [message #1395 is a reply to message #1394] Sat, 26 March 2005 09:53 Go to previous message
BillEpstein is currently offline  BillEpstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Wellll, I haven't done anything yet. Still have the radio and the tower 2Pi's to do. And I'll wait until I'm ready to build a new base for the table which is why I'm looking at finger joints.

Previous Topic: CryoParts
Next Topic: Happy Easter everyone (NT)
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue May 14 06:28:49 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout