Home » Audio » Source » Update on Tascam unit in the previous post.
Update on Tascam unit in the previous post. [message #13821] Sat, 18 December 2004 16:48 Go to next message
hurdy_gurdyman is currently offline  hurdy_gurdyman
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I got my replacement Tascam 133 last week. It's been an interesting experience. First, upon picking up the cardboard shipping box, I had a bad feeling. The deck inside would slide around as I tipped the box. When I opened the box, I found those plastic baggie-like air cusions surrounding the tape deck. All but one were deflated. This was one of the worst packing jobs I've ever seen. Next, after plugging it in, I discovered the tape well door would only open a small crack. I had to pry it open. It wouldn't play a tape at all. The capstion and the take up spool wouldn't move. I took the case off the unit and found the drive belt had come off. After about 15 minutes and many choice words, I got the belt back on. The take up spool still wouldn't work. After a careful examination, I discovered a big dent in the faceplate below the tape well where it obviously had been dropped. Good to see UPS hasn't lost their gentel touch. I had to think on this a bit. I could put in a claim to UPS, but chances are they'd claim it was the sellers fault because of bad packing. I could try to get the seller to give my money back, but this can be a real experience in itself, as those of you who have bought off epay may have discovered. So, what I finally did was to scavage my old deck and replaced the faceplate, replace the drive belt (which was wore out anyway), replaced the capstain/flywheel (which was bent), replaced the pinch rollar (at a later time as it, too, proved wore out). All in all, I have about two days of nerve-racking, eye straning work into this. All seems to work right now. I probably should have the head alignment checked out, but not sure if I will. It sounds fine on the tapes it records, and I'm only using to make working tapes of my band and solo work, so tapes will only be played back in the same machine (I don't have any other three channel decks to play them on).

What an experience!

Tired Dave

Re: Update on Tascam unit in the previous post. [message #13822 is a reply to message #13821] Sun, 19 December 2004 01:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
I'm sorry to hear that Dave.

I suspect that the seller packed the unit poorly, and it may have been in bad shape before it went out the door. Sorry to by cynical, and surely I could be wrong. Everyone knows UPS is pretty brutal with packages. But my experience with UPS damage is that mishandled packages usually burst open or at least show external signs, crushed corners, torn sides, that sort of thing. The inflated bags take the hits better than the box does. So I'm thinking that it may have left the place in bad shape and that the airbags were already deflated.

Then again, you probably have little choice but to make a UPS claim or eat the loss. I doubt the seller will take the deck back, and I know you're not the kind of guy to resell it in that shape. There is a chance that the package was damaged in shipment rather than being sent that way, so filing a claim isn't out of the question. UPS reserves the right to inspect the box, but they probably won't take the trouble because the cost of the loss doesn't merit it. You'll probably fill out some paperwork and get a claim check in a few weeks.

Re: Update on Tascam unit in the previous post. [message #13823 is a reply to message #13822] Sun, 19 December 2004 09:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hurdy_gurdyman is currently offline  hurdy_gurdyman
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Hey Wayne,

I couldn't see any damage in the sellers epay picture, but then I have no way of knowing if it's the same deck as what he actually sold or not. At any rate, the deck is working fine now with the replacement parts from my old deck, so I'm happy with the status quo.

Dave:)

Re: Update on Tascam unit in the previous post. [message #13824 is a reply to message #13823] Sun, 19 December 2004 09:42 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Hi Dave,

That's great news. Sounds like you made the best of the situation. Much better that way, 'cause everyone wins. Super deal.

Wayne

Previous Topic: Delrin arm board for AR turntable
Next Topic: Pickering TLE stylus
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat May 11 07:08:41 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers