Home » Audio » Source » Realistic LAB-500 Turntable
Realistic LAB-500 Turntable [message #13224] Thu, 28 December 2006 14:04 Go to next message
Henry is currently offline  Henry
Esquire
My Realistic LAB-500 is equipped with an auto-shutoff - that is when the tonearm reaches a certain stop in its travel toward the spindle, the tonearm lifts and returns to its at-rest position. Sometimes, depending on the record, this causes the tonearm to lift before the song has ended. Is there a way to adjust this? And, if so, how is it done?

Thanks!
Henry

Re: Realistic LAB-500 Turntable [message #13229 is a reply to message #13224] Thu, 04 January 2007 12:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Some automatic and semi-automatic turntables have an adjustable stop or cam that sets the position where tone arm lift is triggered. You might look under the platter for the mechanism and adjust it.

Re: Realistic LAB-500 Turntable [message #13232 is a reply to message #13229] Thu, 04 January 2007 13:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Esquire
Thanks so much, Wayne, for taking the time answer my question. I've pulled the platter and there is a plate that is adjustable along a slotted hole. I'm supposing this is the adjustment you reference, and I will give it a try (What do I have to lose, right?).

Thanks again for being so generous with your time and knowledge.

Re: Realistic LAB-500 Turntable [message #13233 is a reply to message #13229] Thu, 04 January 2007 18:59 Go to previous message
Esquire
For Wayne and anyone else in my boat,

About the adjustable plate I mentioned in my previous post. I'm not sure just what this thing adjusts, but it ain't the swing limits of the tonearm! I ran that little bugger for one extreme to the other and it made absolutely no difference of when the tonearm sat down or picked up. I'm guessing that the adjustment Wayne mentions is on the inside on this one.

Then I decided to take the "sledge hammer" approach. I removed the little trigger lever that sets the whole automatic shut-off apparatus into motion. This gave me the desired effect of allowing the record to play clear to the end. Yay! It also gave me the undesirable effect of not being able to turn the dang thing off once it is turned on. Boo!

So, I'll pop open the case next and dig around in its innards looking for the tonearm swing adjustment. I'll post the results here just in case anyone else gets in a match of wills with a Realistic LAB-500.

Previous Topic: tonearm slant
Next Topic: Sony PS-LX295
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 00:17:05 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout