Home » Audio » Source » Gates turntable
Gates turntable [message #13223] Thu, 28 December 2006 07:33 Go to next message
hurdy_gurdyman is currently offline  hurdy_gurdyman
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Within the next couple of weeks I'm going to become the proud (?) owner of a Gates turntable. I had a choice between the 16 inch platter and the 12 inch platter version. I picked the 12 inch platter one because a shorter arm should be better with today's cartridges, and are much easier to find. The Gates has sit in a barn for many years and has corrosion, but not to the point of not being restorable. The bearing, motor, idler wheel all seem to be in excellent shape. This table has an impressive bearing and chassis. I'll have to build a plinth for it (planning on using baltic birch plywood.)

I'd be interested in any comments or advice from anyone with experience with these or similar old pro tables. I've restored a lot of old Duals, cheaper Garrards, Thorens TD-160/145's and an AR (not to mention a few old Japanese tables), but never anything this old or in this rough of shape, so I can use all the help I can get.

Dave

Re: Gates turntable [message #13238 is a reply to message #13223] Sun, 07 January 2007 18:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
DanB is currently offline  DanB
Esquire
I used an old Gates (model 16c if I recall) in college (surplus from a radio station renovation) It was a massive affair with significant mechanical and audio rumble from the idler wheel drive system. A 3 speed model with a 3-on-the-floor lever to slip it into gear. To use it in a home system, you would, minimally need to locate a new idler wheel with soft, pliant rubber. Alterrnatively, consider belt-driving the platter.

Re: Gates turntable [message #13239 is a reply to message #13238] Sun, 07 January 2007 21:30 Go to previous message
hurdy_gurdyman is currently offline  hurdy_gurdyman
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Dan,

Thanks for the reply. The one I'm looking at has obviously had a replacement idler wheel not to long in the past. The rubber is nice and soft. That was one of the first things I checked.
This model is a CB60.

Dave

Previous Topic: Sony PS-LX295
Next Topic: Urgent Help - Connecting Sony Turntable to Sony System
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 17:15:00 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers