Home » Audio » Source » Goldring 1042 troubles
Goldring 1042 troubles [message #13028] Tue, 01 August 2006 05:11 Go to next message
Alex is currently offline  Alex
Chancellor
I have a new model P3/RB300 set-up on 640p phono amp. I just bought a Goldring 1042 with about 30 hours on it to replace my well used Goldring Elektra. First mounted it quite forward, but after some remeasurement moved it back in the headshell. First impressions are mixed. Its very detailed, but seems lacking in any bass weight and sounds hissier than the Elektra. Any suggestions? Thanks, Alex.

Re: Goldring 1042 troubles [message #13029 is a reply to message #13028] Tue, 01 August 2006 05:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
By the way, test discs used were Rickie Lee Jones Nimbus Supercut, Cat Stevens Teaser and Firecat (180g analog reissue), Randy Newman Nimbus Supercut and ZZ Top Eliminator. Alex.

Re: Goldring 1042 troubles [message #13030 is a reply to message #13029] Tue, 01 August 2006 09:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
You are tracking too lightly and the cart is probably not aligned properly. Did you use an alignement guage?

Re: Goldring 1042 troubles [message #13031 is a reply to message #13030] Tue, 01 August 2006 15:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
I did use a protractor and am playing at 1.75 or 2 grams. Its a curious thing, the RB300 I'm using never requres any anti-saking. (I've had about 4 Planar 3's in the past that have needed it - about the same as the tracking weight, so I suspected at one point the arm may be iffy). I've read reviews of this cart sounding clinical and lacking in bass, its jsut suprising I prefer their cheaper elektra!! Anything else anyone thinks I could do to improve this?

Re: Goldring 1042 troubles [message #13032 is a reply to message #13031] Tue, 01 August 2006 18:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
The hissing part is a common problem with too light of a tracking force. Having ownwed a 1042 myself in the past I found it to be a little heavy in the bass. The anti-skate would not affect bass performance; it might cause mistracking and result in a hiss sound but the bass would still be good. Are you sure the cart is not damaged in some way? Is the proper pins where they should be and the cart in phase?

Re: Goldring 1042 troubles [message #13033 is a reply to message #13032] Wed, 02 August 2006 11:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
Connections are fine, I'll try with the tracking force. Problem is, isnt record life lower and wear greater with a higher tracking force? I ran the Elektra at 1.5g and it sounded great. Bass was great last night on a Nimbus Supercut of Supertramp's Breakfast in America but not so great on other LPs.

Re: Goldring 1042 troubles [message #13034 is a reply to message #13033] Wed, 02 August 2006 17:55 Go to previous message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Actually the cartridge should be tracking at the high end of the range. Record wear occurs due to mis-alignment more so than tracking force. The worst case occurs when the cart tip rattles around in the groove due to to light a force applied. I would track the 1042 at 1.8g's for a start. The conventional wisdom on carts and tracking is more is better than less force. Yrs ago Shure did a electron scan of the record grooves to determine wear patterns and they found that the cart should be well seated in the groove and angled properly for best case wear conditions. Thats a good sounding cart. Once it's dialed in on the Rega it should be a real musical sound. That is the cart Audionote modifies for their IQ series.

Previous Topic: Denon DP-51F - Can't keep tonearm on platter
Next Topic: locating a part
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 05:13:32 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout