Home » Audio » Source » very low volume comes from the turntable
very low volume comes from the turntable [message #13021] Thu, 27 July 2006 05:30 Go to next message
groovalicious is currently offline  groovalicious
Esquire
hello,

i have the next problem that i can't possibly figure out.

a few days ago one of my turntables stopped giving signal to the mixer. by no signal i mean that no sound came from the turntable anymore. i was mixing when suddenly only the left speaker started playing. the next day it wasn't playing at all anymore.

i thought that there perhaps is a problem on that channel, so i plugged the other turntable in this one and it worked fine.

later i borrowed another turntable from a friend to see if it will work. i plugged it in and it didn't. it was the same as with my nonworking turntable.

so let me get this straight: one turntable works no matter where i plug it in. the other two (mine and the borrowed one) don't work anywhere.

i decided to try another mixer if that should be the case. and it was the same story. only one turntable plays normally, but the other two don't (don't give out any sound).

later i found out that the music does play but i have to turn the volume all the way up, but it is still to quiet.

so far i know that the signal is coming to the mixer, but it's a very very poor one.

could anybody please help, because i have no idea what to do in my situation. why is there to little signal coming to the mixer, what does that depend on? is it possible that there are some sort of problems with the GND wire from the turntable?

the bottom line: i have one turntable that works normally on both mixers. i have two turntables that don't give out enough signal (they play very very quietly). both of these turntables work great at a friend of mine, just not in my house. could there be somesort of eletrical problem in the mixers that's "jamming the signal" and causing this?

Re: very low volume comes from the turntable [message #13024 is a reply to message #13021] Fri, 28 July 2006 21:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tre' is currently offline  Tre'
Baron
What brand and model is the turntable that is not working? What are you using for a phono preamplifier? Does the mixer have a phono pre in it?
Some turntables have a phono pre built into them. Maybe the one that works does and the others don't. That would be an answer if you are pluging into a line level input in the mixer.

Tre'

Re: very low volume comes from the turntable [message #13025 is a reply to message #13024] Sat, 29 July 2006 08:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
groovalicious is currently offline  groovalicious
Esquire
my turntables are technics mk II. the one that i borrowed is a cheap omnitronic one.

i don't know what a phono preamplifier is. could you please explain what does that mean?

otherwise i have two turntables that are plugged into the mixer, and the mixer is connected to a stereo receiver which then sends the signal to the speakers.

the mixer that i use, is JBsystems Beat 4. i don't know if it has a phono preamp. how do you mean that maybe one works and the others might not (if that were the case)?

it's strange because one turntable works on all the channels and the other two (mine and the borrowed one) don't work anywhere.

i tried another mixwer also, it's a cheap one basically, but it did the same thing. so the problem should be in the turntables? but the problem is, that when i take my nonworking turntable to a friend, it works there normally.

Re: very low volume comes from the turntable [message #13026 is a reply to message #13025] Sat, 29 July 2006 10:18 Go to previous message
Tre' is currently offline  Tre'
Baron
A phono cartridge output voltage is very low. The music cut into the grooves of a record is lacking in the bass and boosted in the treble. A phono pre-amp boosts the bass and cuts the treble and provides a lot of gain.

I took a look at the mixer you use and it has 3 phono inputs, that is three channels of phono pre-amplifiers.

http://www.soundandlightcity.co.za/DJ%20Mixers.htm

Your turntables should only work when pluged into the "phono" inputs on the mixer.

If one of your turntables worked and now it doesn't, I would think there is a connection problem with that turntable.

Sorry I couldn't help more.

Tre'

Previous Topic: Thank You Wayne!
Next Topic: Denon DP-51F - Can't keep tonearm on platter
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue May 07 07:21:34 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers