Home » Audio » Source » New Turntable Advice
New Turntable Advice [message #12907] Sat, 03 June 2006 14:53 Go to next message
Chris Furlong is currently offline  Chris Furlong
Esquire
Hi,
I have about 500-600 GBP Pounds to spend on a complete new turntable, stylus, tonearm, cartridge, amp & speaker setup. And was wondering if anyone has any recommendations on what to get if anything good? Also, if all these upgrades I keep seeing that you can do to decks/amps/etc are worth it? If possible include all the worth while upgrades to fit in the 500-600 price.

At the moment I have a Technics SU-X860 Amplifier, Sony PS-LX300H Belt Drive Turntable with standard plastic tonearm, with a Stanton 500-II Cartridge.

Many Thanks, Chris.

Re: New Turntable Advice [message #12916 is a reply to message #12907] Wed, 07 June 2006 13:27 Go to previous message
charlieboy is currently offline  charlieboy
Chancellor

Hi Chris,

Well as far as a table a good used Rega or Thorens would be nice. You can find the Regas with the 250 arm all day long. Cartridges would depend on if you want MM or MC. You can also find great used Musical Fidelty gear as far a inexpensive phono stage that will handle MM and MC in the older XLP model. I bought one for around 125 dollars a while back. Maybe the technics has a phono stage and you could mount the Staton on the rega for now. If your into vinyl The table and arm combo would be very important.Here's a Thorens 160BMKII that I have with an Ortofon cart and Rega arm. I have around 600 in it but it's a great table. You can find a more stock version of this for FAR less than I have in mine.

Previous Topic: Tascam 80-8 problem
Next Topic: Noise during playback
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat May 11 21:26:13 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout