Home » Audio » Source » looking for rca cables
looking for rca cables [message #12544] Wed, 14 September 2005 21:37 Go to next message
packratt is currently offline  packratt
Chancellor

Trying to get my turntable set up. The best (almost only) place I've got to put it is about 24-25' from the receiver.

Any suggestions on what I can do for wires. I'd prefer to go with premade. I'd like decent RCA cables not overly expensive or cheep. Radio-Shack carries a 36' pair of speaker cables but the wire looks awful thin. I can solder but I hate making RCA cables. If I have to I can go with a pair of 12' Acoustic Research or Monster cables and use a RCA-RCA coupler.

Thanks
Le

Re: looking for rca cables [message #12545 is a reply to message #12544] Wed, 14 September 2005 21:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I don't think I'd want my turntable that far away from the preamp. Getting the cable isn't a problem, but the distance is. That's a long way for a tiny signal to pass, and it makes a perfect antenna for coupling noise sources into the preamp. So I'd suggest moving the turntable closer.

Re: looking for rca cables [message #12546 is a reply to message #12544] Thu, 15 September 2005 14:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dominic is currently offline  Dominic
Chancellor
Wayne is right. Make those wires as short as possible. Mine are about 6 inches long and I used a little tiny wire with a big shield. Most of the cables you get now are for amplified signal and too heavy.

Re: looking for rca cables [message #12547 is a reply to message #12545] Thu, 15 September 2005 17:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
packratt is currently offline  packratt
Chancellor
Believe me I'd like to have the amp and receiver side by side but I'm dealing with a crowded room, think enough stuff for a 2 bedroom apartment in an efficiency. The only place to get a good stable setup (wall mount) for the turntable where it won't get hit by a door is across the room from where there is a space for the other components.

There is one other place that is about 12 feet away on top of a book case but with the carpet under the book case I'm uncertain if it will be solid enough to avoid vibrations.

Any recomendations on a decent economy priced phono amp?

Thanks
Le

Re: looking for rca cables [message #12548 is a reply to message #12547] Thu, 15 September 2005 19:45 Go to previous message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Whats economy?
The Bottlehead Seduction sounds better than most out there; at least under the 1k mark. Thats about 250.00$
For 60$ there is a nice op-amp semi-kit from several manufacturers. Some people on this forum use them.
Some friends of mine use a little thing I suggested for a cheap but good sounding phono stage for those not looking to get into vinyl in a big way.
Use a good reciever from the 1975-80's from somewhere. You can get them for 75$. You use the phono in and the tape-out and voila' you have a pretty good phono stage.
And a spare amp if ever you need it.
Other than that the Nad is about 100.00$ and that is nice sounding.
Britaudio.com has them cheap.
If you can locate a clean Luxman phono stage; that is the best SS stage out there within reason. They were designed by Tim DePavaracini.
I use one over a maxed out seduction and I paid 200$ on E-bay for it.

Previous Topic: Garrott Optim FGS + RB300- Compatible??
Next Topic: choosing a cassette deck...
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu May 16 16:43:33 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout