Home » Audio » Source » Dual CS508 Sounds terrible
Re: Dual CS508 Sounds terrible [message #12406 is a reply to message #12405] Tue, 02 August 2005 13:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jsmith is currently offline  Jsmith
Chancellor
I found a great deal on a super10, I like that cart because you can upgrade to the 30 by replacing the stylus. The only thing that makes me a little uneasy about changing this cart is the way the dual headshells are made. Im not too sure how to set overhang and such. The only thing i have to aid in chainging the cart is a paper protractor. I need to get my hands on a service manual because there is a problem with the lift mech that I can't put my finger on by visual inspection, and that would probably make changing the cart a little easier as well. I appreciate your help on this.

Re: Dual CS508 Sounds terrible [message #12407 is a reply to message #12406] Tue, 02 August 2005 14:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Did you try Analogdept.com? They have many service manuals. Is this table automatic or manual lift?

Re: Dual CS508 Sounds terrible [message #12408 is a reply to message #12406] Tue, 02 August 2005 17:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Russellc is currently offline  Russellc
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Yes you can upgrade the om 10 to om 30 by changing the stylus, but its better just to buy the one you want. check the price of the OM 30 stylus. You can get the OM 30 complete for about the same if you shop carefully on line. I found that the price of the OM 30 was up quite a bit, around 285 on a lot of sites, a large increase from the 159.00 that I found it for. I was still finding them at 185 recently, I believe it was music direct. I don't know if it is the case here, but many manufacturers "cull" the bodies for the more expensive models. Since your just starting out, go with the om 10 and get the table working.I do not quite follow about the counterweight not going to 2 or whatever...is it the correct one? Invest 20.00 and get a shure scale. If this solves the problem and you want to go further, you have a working unit with new cart. that you can sell for upgrade $$.

Regards, Russellc

Re: Dual CS508 Sounds terrible [message #12409 is a reply to message #12408] Tue, 02 August 2005 17:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Russellc is currently offline  Russellc
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Jack's still has them for 159.00! (Super OM 30)

Russellc

Re: Dual CS508 Sounds terrible [message #12410 is a reply to message #12407] Tue, 02 August 2005 19:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
i am going to answer 2 questions in this post.. The dial not turning was due to the previous owner over rotating the dial, so after turning it backward all was good. There are no numbers on the weight, they are on the side of the arm.. As for the cartridges, I think I will opt for the super10 just for the price of 49.99. This turntable has auto return I think, but I am not sure. What I do know is that when you push the lift up or down buttons, nothing happens. The arm that controls this seems to be in tact and is well lubed. But without a diagram i can't tell if anything is out of place or missing, although everything looks okay.

Re: Dual CS508 Sounds terrible [message #12411 is a reply to message #12410] Tue, 02 August 2005 20:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
I think you will need to look at a schematic or remove the lower plate that covers the interior and look at the mechanism. If it is a gear to gear arm lift then it should be easy to spot. If a electronic lift then you will have to study it. If gear to gear then some kind of pressure band must be used. That may be worn. It would look like a rubber band but small that puts pressure on one gear to mate with the other when the button is pushed. Or a swingarm might be used. You must find a schematic.

Re: Dual CS508 Sounds terrible [message #12412 is a reply to message #12411] Tue, 02 August 2005 20:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
I have inspected the mechanism very closely.. All parts seem to be in place. The lift controls are in the form of buttons on the front of the unit. All looks to be in place except for where the button mechanism mates to the arm that should be controlling the lift pin, there is a junction consisting of two gear like swivels that are spring loaded. From looking at it, it seems that one has shifted to the side. I have found the manual in paper form, but am trying to find one available for download. Manualgenus has almost every manual except for the cs508, even the next model up which is fully auto. Looks as though downloading isnt going to be an option so i will have to wait... I am going to go ahead and get the manual and get this thing running.. Ill post the results of this when I get it completed. Thanks for all of the input, it's been quite helpful.

Re: Dual CS508 Sounds terrible [message #12414 is a reply to message #12408] Wed, 03 August 2005 07:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hurdy_gurdyman is currently offline  hurdy_gurdyman
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Thought I'd jump in here and add my 1 1/2 cents worth. I've owned a bunch of Dual tables (not this model, though.) Most of them don't have particularly accurate calibrations on the tonearm adjustments. Getting a separate stylus gauge like the Shure is a very good idea.

If you don't have a record with a blank section to test for anti-skate accuracy, set the scale for anti-skate at about 1/2 of the recommended value. Better too little than too much.

Dave

Re: Dual CS508 Sounds terrible [message #12607 is a reply to message #12402] Tue, 15 November 2005 15:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
A-Ronka-Ronk is currently offline  A-Ronka-Ronk
Esquire
That sort of woe sounds simply like a record player going into a 'regular' rather than an RIAA input on the preamp, doesn't it?

Re: Dual CS508 Sounds terrible [message #12608 is a reply to message #12607] Tue, 15 November 2005 19:47 Go to previous message
Chancellor
no no no my friend, i am a little more savvy than that.. changed rca's, oil and cartridge and the table now sounds decent... i think it was the cartridge causing it..

Previous Topic: Well, anyway Shure vs. Ortophon
Next Topic: What Shakespeare said about vinyl and digital.
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri May 10 08:49:28 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio