Home » Audio » General » Why?
Why? [message #1220] Sat, 08 January 2005 08:56 Go to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
One of the most interesting and enjoyable aspects of this hobby is accessing peoples motivations; why they make the choices they do. That tells you a lot about what dictates the direction that design takes. Look at the SET revival; that paradigm shift that resulted from the resurgence of tube driven design completely changed the landscape of audio.
Now chip amps and High Efficiency speaker design's are everywhere. Not so ten years ago. So the question of why people make certain choices of equipment and design is most interesting to me.
I think it says a lot about the hobby and what directions it will follow. A carefully thought out description of the progression of descisions and ideas involved in your design choices helps everyone to understand the reasons and results of your experience. It provides a great benefit to others to see the thought process in action.

Re: Why? It's the BBD! [message #1221 is a reply to message #1220] Sat, 08 January 2005 10:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wunhuanglo is currently offline  wunhuanglo
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
The Bigger, Better Deal.

"New" outlets for the hobbyist, chiefly coming from recycled ideas.

The gainclone fad is slightly unique in the fact that it's low risk, low dollar aspects make it more accessible and appealing.

Remember the big craze in DIY electrostatics 25 years ago?

Re: Why? It's the BBD! [message #1222 is a reply to message #1221] Sat, 08 January 2005 12:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Yeah; remmember everyone purchasing oven film as membrane material? The supermarkets were empty of the stuff.
Let me say I was not suggesting anything except that I like to know why people choose what they choose. Part of learning is to examine the reasons for the choices you make.

Re: Why? [message #1224 is a reply to message #1220] Sun, 09 January 2005 03:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
That's a good question.

For me, the reason I first built loudspeakers was that I thought I could do much better than what I saw in the hifi shops. And that put me on a course of action, where I quickly found that the sound I liked came from high efficiency speakers, with the cat's meow being those with high quality drivers having shorting rings.

Re: Why? [message #1225 is a reply to message #1224] Mon, 10 January 2005 06:51 Go to previous message
akhilesh is currently offline  akhilesh
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
My motivations: get the best sound possible, and have fun doing it! Esp. with speakers.

Previous Topic: Ebay's Partiality Towards Larger Sellers
Next Topic: Brines Acoustics
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 09:19:15 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout