Home » Audio » Source » technics 1200's
technics 1200's [message #12113] Sun, 24 April 2005 11:08 Go to next message
rick is currently offline  rick
Baron
Hi:

I wonder if anyone has any experience with the technics 1200 series of tables just for playback purposes,(not scratching). I've recently come across the kabusa website that sell them as a high end alternative to belt drive tables. I have a rega 2 that I've concidered reasonably good. If you lightly tap on the rega while the systems on though,you do get quite a bit of feedback. What interests me about technics 1200 tables are their high degree of build quality,(and damping) and published specs. Seems to me their adaptation to the professional market with its demanding nature might avail them useful for home use, as have pro speaker drivers to the Pi loudspeakers. Kabusa shure promotes them. Thanks.
Rick

Re: technics 1200's [message #12114 is a reply to message #12113] Sun, 24 April 2005 11:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
Guess I shoulda looked below hummmm?

Re: technics 1200's [message #12115 is a reply to message #12114] Sun, 24 April 2005 18:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Hope it helps. The higher ended sort of people shun this deck; but for starting with vinyl it can't be beat;
It sounds pretty darn good
It is easy to maintain
It holds it's value for when you upgrade and it is cheap comparatively.
Also works with plenty of decent cartridges. I tried my Technics with the Denon DL 103 and most honest people would be impressed.
Will it do over the long haul? Depends on your music.

Re: technics 1200's [message #12116 is a reply to message #12115] Sun, 24 April 2005 20:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
Thanks for a reply. You'r experience rules out this table for higher audio quality? What are the implications involving the type of music over a period of time refer to. Or do you mean priorities. Thanks.
Rick

Re: technics 1200's [message #12117 is a reply to message #12116] Sun, 24 April 2005 21:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Well; allow me to qualify. Should you be primarily concerned about the music then this may be the last table you will ever need. Just find a good cart and phono stage and you're good to go. However; if you require the most refined and resolving of playback then of course you need to do something more capable.
Better decks(I also have a Linn LP 12) do sound better and in a better way. They are simply more musically involving. They extract more information from the grooves and generally sound real and lifelike to a greater extent. Very high quality decks are really musical instruments unto themselves and are most certainly wothwhile in that they present a musical panarama that has the ability to grab your interest and hold your attention.
As with anything else; you can enjoy a good round of golf with Wilson clubs but to be in the Masters you need Ping's. If you get my drift. The music will get through and be enjoyable with the SL 1200. That would be enough to satisfy. To hear music at it's best and most musical; then you need to upgrade.
What is your music. If you have or plan to acquire a good collection of rare classical albums, you want to hear them at their very best. Jazz also, even a library of good re-masters would demand that you raise the bar of competency. But for arguments sake say we want an eclectic mix of used and new pop/rock/classical/jazz vinyl that we collect through various used or other means without serious pretensions and we refuse to pay large sums for the best examples of such styles and genre's; or we are entering vinyl for the purpose of exploration and have no dedication to a particular goal; then the 1200 should be just fine.

Re: technics 1200's [message #12124 is a reply to message #12117] Mon, 25 April 2005 14:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
Thanks, I kind of thought thats where you were leading into. I can appreciate the esoteric dedication to collecting and playback systems, but for me I spin for good fun and relaxation. Still, I wonder if this technics job with a few of the tweeks offered at kabusa would'nt be a nice improvement over my current rega 2 table. Maybe I just ought to put out and see.
Rick

Re: technics 1200's [message #12125 is a reply to message #12124] Mon, 25 April 2005 18:24 Go to previous message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Believe me It's tempting. The total cost for all the tweaks equals about 700$ right? Thats dicey in terms of absolute return on investment. I thought of looking at the Bix but I hear some have had problems with it.

Previous Topic: Rega Elys cartridge
Next Topic: Blue Note: A history of Modern Jazz
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 06:45:47 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout