Home » Audio » Source » Empire 598 II -- No Nonsense Cartridge?
Empire 598 II -- No Nonsense Cartridge? [message #12080] Sat, 16 April 2005 21:05 Go to next message
WmAx is currently offline  WmAx
Esquire
Howdy. I was looking for a TT for some records I have stored, and behold what I find in Goodwill thrift store for about $7 USD last week:

http://www.linaeum.com/images/empire598/index.html

It has a few minor scratches, that should be easy to fix on the base. The dust cover has some considerable damage. I may fix that, but I don't like the ugly(IMO) 70's style wood framed dust cover. I have requested some estimates for custom made all-acrylic covers from various places(I await the numbers). In that case, I'de just remove the backplate and make a hinge device to attach to the all-acrylic cover.

Ok -- now for the cartridge. This TT has an Empire 2000Z cart on it, but the stylus is shot. Considering the probable age of this cart(I'm guessing REALLY old), it is probaby prudent to just replace the cart instead of just the stylus. What is a no-nonsense hi quality but low cost cartridge(Moving Magnet) that is suitable to this table/tonearm setup? I've heard that it needs a cart with low(?) compliance due to the tonearm mass -- or mabye I got that backwards? I know diddly about turntable setup.

Thanks.

-Chris

Re: Empire 598 II -- No Nonsense Cartridge? [message #12081 is a reply to message #12080] Sun, 17 April 2005 06:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
You may not be able to get a stylus for that cart. I would try the Vinyl Engine site for info. On that table a Denon 103r would be real nice. That is one great piece of audio art.

Re: Empire 598 II -- No Nonsense Cartridge? [message #12082 is a reply to message #12081] Sun, 17 April 2005 10:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Esquire
Thanks for the suggestion, however it appears that this is a Moving Coil cart. I need a Moving Magnet cartridge, as that is what the preamp I am using requires.

-Chris

Re: Empire 598 II -- No Nonsense Cartridge? [message #12083 is a reply to message #12082] Sun, 17 April 2005 16:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
I use an Empire MC gold myself, so I am a fan but the re-tips are dicey on older MC's. You would need a step-up trans to run it in your table anyway so ergo you need a low compliance MM. Considered maybe a rega?

Re: Empire 598 II -- No Nonsense Cartridge? [message #12084 is a reply to message #12083] Sun, 17 April 2005 18:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Esquire
Thank you for the suggestions.

Someone suggested a Denon DL-110 on Audio Asylum. It is a MC, but apparently has the voltage output of a MM.(1.6v rated output) therfor I should not require any additional step up transformers or line stage boosters. I definately want to keep the expenditure(s) to a minimum. Do you know anything about this cart?

-Chris

Re: Empire 598 II -- No Nonsense Cartridge? [message #12086 is a reply to message #12084] Mon, 18 April 2005 09:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Yes; the Audio store nearby sold the whole Denon line so I have heard them all. The 110 is good but the 160 is much better. They should be available for a good price. However, if you need to do the 110 it is a good sounding musical cart. Cartridges are one thing you know at some point you will have to replace so my theory is any decent cart that matches the arm is fine because you will eventually replace it anyway. And at that time you may have better resources. Meanwhile a good cart like the 110 will give you plenty of good music.
Since you ask about the Empire check out this site G-T-I.De. Its a German site in English concerning Empire Tables. He sells the EMT which is designed for the 298. It's expensive but good to know about for future reference.

Re: Empire 598 II -- No Nonsense Cartridge? [message #12088 is a reply to message #12086] Tue, 19 April 2005 00:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Esquire
I need to make it clear, so that my statements/requests are not misinterpreted: I am looking for a reasonable quality cartridge for occasional playback. The turntable's main purpose is intended to be for decorative use(it happens to match my listening room wood and color themes and is just plain pretty IMO). I am far too lazy to change records every few minutes and keep them clean as is needed to have a reasonable noise floor. Sad, but true.

-Chris(confessed CD addict)

Re: Empire 598 II -- No Nonsense Cartridge? [message #12090 is a reply to message #12088] Tue, 19 April 2005 06:52 Go to previous message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
I see; it's audio sculpture. O'kay go with a Goldring. Britaudio has the entry level for 49$ should work well in that arm. And it's black.

Previous Topic: Thorens TD145 question...
Next Topic: correct dc voltage for the Thorens 147 turntable
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri May 10 06:40:15 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout