Home » Audio » Source » AR turntable
AR turntable [message #11947] Thu, 17 February 2005 19:17 Go to next message
David Teves is currently offline  David Teves
Esquire
I have an AR turntable that develops a hum that begins when the tone arm is placed above the outer edge of the record. It is not very loud, but it is very annoying. Does anyone have a guess as to whether this is being caused by the tone arm or the cartridge? Or anything else? Thanks!

Re: AR turntable [message #11949 is a reply to message #11947] Fri, 18 February 2005 16:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Bad tonearm ground wire or you are using a Grado Cartridge.

Re: AR turntable [message #11951 is a reply to message #11949] Fri, 18 February 2005 19:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
David Teves is currently offline  David Teves
Esquire
Heck I am using a Grado Cartridge! Please explain the hum.

Re: AR turntable [message #11952 is a reply to message #11951] Fri, 18 February 2005 19:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Grado's are not shielded real well so they tend to hum in many tables. Not much you can do about that. Lots of people live with it, otherwise you need to swap carts.

Re: AR turntable [message #11953 is a reply to message #11952] Sat, 19 February 2005 05:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Russellc is currently offline  Russellc
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Not only is your grado not shielded, which in many applications is of no consequence, but more importantly the AR's motor is not shielded either, and it is making your system hum. I bet it gets worse as the arm moves closer to the center. Audio "lore" has long warned against mixing grados with ARS. That being said, it can be done either by getting your dealer to order a version (which they used to carry) that is less hum prone, or by shielding your table's motor. I have no experience with such shielding, but I have read posts where people used "mu metal" what ever that is. Apparently it is used in rf shielding.

Russellc

Re: AR turntable [message #11954 is a reply to message #11953] Sat, 19 February 2005 06:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
They make copper tape that works also, but I have always thought that since Grado's are inexpensive; why go to the effort. Half a dozen carts out there sound just as good or better and they don't have the problem.
Unless you have a loyalty to that unit, try calling John Grado in Brooklyn and see what he says, he's usually a freindly guy and helpfull.

Re: AR turntable [message #12063 is a reply to message #11952] Fri, 08 April 2005 20:49 Go to previous message
Dominic is currently offline  Dominic
Chancellor
I had a little lug on my cartridge that grounds the cartridge casing to the left ground lug (blue). sometimes it will stop the noise.

Previous Topic: Ground static
Next Topic: Question about Technics SL-DZ1200
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu May 16 08:22:09 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout