Home » Audio » General » Significant accomplishments
Significant accomplishments [message #1206] Sun, 02 January 2005 16:43 Go to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
I noticed on the High Efficiency Forum one of the posters asked a good question. What are some of the audio things you experienced this year past that you found particularly interesting or found to be enjoyable. I think that might make a nice thread.
Speaking for myself; of course, I think constructing the Theater 4 loudspeakers was a great and successful learning experience. Putting together the Gainclone and starting to participate in the Group Build Forum has been a good experience. The result of the years efforts at constructing has been quite rewarding.
Thought I would bring this up; Hurdy Gurdy; sorry to step on your excellent music post just below; some homegrown Scottish Folk Melodies with a nice ring to them.

Re: Significant accomplishments [message #1209 is a reply to message #1206] Sun, 02 January 2005 17:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I was really taken by the little Stoetkit. I'm still stoked about it, and anxious to get my kit. I hated letting go of the demo. And of course, I had a lot of fun with my loudspeaker projects. I'm really proud of the new and updated models that came out in 2004.

But I think the coolest thing for 2004 was the formation of this website. Like you, I'm very excited about the Group Build forum. I've been very pleased to see Bill Fitzmaurice take the ball and run with it like he has. His speakers are just the thing for local bands everywhere. I'm eager to see Eric have more time to discuss his ideas too, which he has said he'll be able to do in 2005.

It's been nice to see so many industry leaders participating here. The list of people that post on AudioRoundTable.com is like a Who's Who of the Audio Industry. Everyone's civility and friendly, non-adversarial tone has just been wonderful. It confirmed for me what an audio discussion site can be like.

Really everyone that has participated here has been just great. The regulars like you make this place interesting, educational and fun. So I guess the thing I experienced this past year I found most interesting and enjoyable was visiting with the people that hang out on AudioRoundTable.com.

Re: Significant accomplishments [message #1210 is a reply to message #1209] Sun, 02 January 2005 17:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BillEpstein is currently offline  BillEpstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
What I love about this place is that a schlumiel like me knows the opinions expressed as facts on other boards are fullashit and then I can come here and find out why!
Then there's the idea that someone like Jim Griffin and I have had a literally "nodding" acquaintance since MAF 1 when I trundled the Theatre 4's thru his demo room and we've been nodding at each other ever since (he's thinking, 'now where do I know that guy from?')at MAF 2 and the Dayton DIY, etc.; but we have a conversation here on the Board and I learn something.
My own accomplishment was spurred by our taciturn friend Speakerman who goaded me into building the sandboxes for my speakers. I continue to be astonished by the enormous positive change they make.
And finally, there's the community aspect. I have sent out parts, received parts, offered technical help, received technical help, expressed an interest in a driver and received a referral to a source, schematics, hand-holding and out and out "here ya go dummy, take it!"

Re: Significant accomplishments [message #1211 is a reply to message #1210] Sun, 02 January 2005 18:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I have a funny story that involves Jim at MAF too. He and I were scheduled to speak at the same time, at opposite sides of the same room. It would have worked, except that my presentation included audio demonstrations. You probably remember that, the "Crossover Electronics 101" seminar.

We went through resistance, capacitance, inductance and what circuits act like when they're all combined. The idea was that it not be facts and figures with charts and graphs, but that we actually listen to what the circuits sounded like too. Cool idea, except that Jim was doing something else in the same room, and our circuits musta been kinda distracting. At one point, I hit the go button and the dang thing was blasting. Jim politely asked that I turn it down. Oops!

Re: Significant accomplishments [message #1212 is a reply to message #1211] Sun, 02 January 2005 20:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mike.e is currently offline  Mike.e
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Most of all,I enjoy ART because of its friendly positive nature and willing helpful people like wayne and bill.

No trolls,annoyances,just a good time!

Re: Significant accomplishments [message #1214 is a reply to message #1206] Mon, 03 January 2005 10:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
akhilesh is currently offline  akhilesh
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
HI John & others,
My accomplishments:
1. Home speakers consisting of a trusonic full range driver and a tweeter.
2. Construction of a cheap 11bm8 amplifier (push-pull)
3. Purchase of sundry amplifiers, including my 45 SET that I lsiten to most nowadays
4. Purchase & upgrade of the museatex bidat DAC (do a dsearch if you like to see how it uses a unique logic to convert to analog...Ed Meitner's masterpiece, made even better after upgrading)
5. PLaying my klipschorns & homebrews together to yeild insane dynamics!
-akhilesh

Re: Significant accomplishments [message #1216 is a reply to message #1206] Thu, 06 January 2005 00:33 Go to previous message
lon is currently offline  lon
Illuminati (2nd Degree)

Mutual Admiration Society aside, I want to compliment Wayne
on the way he takes a personal interest in not only the topics
but the people here as well. It is something that may be unique
in speaker forums or forums of any kind.

Most here are at a higher experiential level of the
craft than myself. Because of this I have more 'experiments'
lying around here now than I know what to do with and they
need a new home. Some of these experimental constructions
were done just to get the feel of tools-- particularly in the
case of carefully cutting line arrays with no jig set ups.

The project that turned out the best was (naturally) the
latest one which is a Mass Loaded Transmission Line (MLTL).
It is made with a a single Fostex FE127e with an enclosure
calculated from Martin King's Mathcad formulations by "GM"
at the full range driver site.

The MLTL approaches the sound of the PVC pipe rig which
was my first from-scratch build and with few tools. The
success of the MLTL design is that it is a more conventional
box with port design which lacks the bulk and 'alienness'
of the Boomtoobz.

Thanks Wayne for keeping us all exploring, learning,
and growing.

Previous Topic: Happy New Years!
Next Topic: Southwest High End Audio Club Meeting (Houston)
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed May 15 10:25:18 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio