Home » Audio » Source » Any TT experience with Belden 89259 interconnects?
Any TT experience with Belden 89259 interconnects? [message #12001] Tue, 22 March 2005 23:21 Go to next message
gumby1 is currently offline  gumby1
Viscount
I'm considering using Belden 89259 as an interconnect cable for a turntable I plan to buy in May. Does anyone have any opinions on this cable for turntable use? I'm planning to buy a Technics SL-1200.

Re: Any TT experience with Belden 89259 interconnects? [message #12003 is a reply to message #12001] Wed, 23 March 2005 09:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
What will you be connecting; the tonearm to the pre-amp?

Re: Any TT experience with Belden 89259 interconnects? [message #12005 is a reply to message #12003] Wed, 23 March 2005 14:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Russellc is currently offline  Russellc
Illuminati (1st Degree)
If it is an interconnect you are seeking, I can strongly suggest making your own with cardas parts. I deal with percy audio, who will understand what you are doing. Get a din plug, straight or right angle, 2 cardas rca jacks. the wire was one of the double wire cables, I believe it was 23x2. Please check this with percy, because if you get the wire too large, the individual runs will not fit in the tiny openings on the back of the din plug. That beldon stuff is ok for the price, but it is far frrom an "end all" cable, by a long shot. I believe john risch recommended an beldon double cable to me at one time for phono cable use, it too was a "double" cable, I think its number was 7770A or something like that. For what its worth, the cardas stuff work beautifully. I have made two myself and a few others for picky friends. It is a fine cable and a stupendous upgrade over what came with my turntable. A nice wiring diagram is available on the van denhul site for the din plug. Please stare at it for a while, it appears so simple, but I have yet to get it right the first time, and it is tiny tedious soldering work.

Russellc

Re: Any TT experience with Belden 89259 interconnects? [message #12006 is a reply to message #12003] Wed, 23 March 2005 19:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Viscount
That's a good question. I haven't purchased the turntable yet, but I thought the turntable might come with standard RCA jacks. I'm planning to buy a Technics SL-1200 from KAB USA so I'll have to do some more research on how it connects to the preamp. I'll be using a Creek OBH-8SE phono preamp. Thanks.

Re: Any TT experience with Belden 89259 interconnects? [message #12007 is a reply to message #12005] Wed, 23 March 2005 19:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Viscount
I contacted Percy Audio and Michael Percy recommeded Music Metre IV cable with Eichman Bullet plugs. The Music Metre cable is rather expensive at $7.50/foot and has an assymetrical 4 conductor wire. I'll also take a look at the Cardas you recommend and the Van Denhul site. Thanks.

Re: Any TT experience with Belden 89259 interconnects? [message #12008 is a reply to message #12006] Wed, 23 March 2005 20:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
I can tell you that you will need to go into the table and re-wire the arm leads. It is a little work.

Re: Any TT experience with Belden 89259 interconnects? [message #12009 is a reply to message #12007] Thu, 24 March 2005 14:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
As I remember percy sold me the cardas for 3.00 a foot, so it is a little cheaper, but is superb cable. Extremely pure copper, and very well shielded. It can be a little tricky to tin, but the gauge you will be using is so small it isn't much of an issue. I just get the end trimmed like I like it, lay it down and heat it untill solder suddenly melts into it and thoughly coats it. then insert that pre tinned end into the solder tubes on the back of the DIN. The DIN plug is about half as cheap if you can use a straight one. The right angle one is about twice as high. Just make sure, whatever cable you use, that the gauge is small enough to go into those little tube fixtures on the back of the DIN. The cardas DIN is teflon I believe and I was able to solder it with out much worry of over heating it. The Eichman bullet plugs are quite in vogue now, I haven"t used any but have examined them, and they look a little fragile for my tastes, I much prefer the top of the line cardas which are about 27.00 a pair. Very robust and substantial feeling, as are the top of the line vampire, which is copper under the plate. Their older, but I believe still available "5 piece" RCA, which may also be copper were too much of a pain for my clumsy hands. The Cardas plugs do require a slight modification. One of the DIY cable sites shows this very plainly with cardas being used on beldon cable as an interconnect. Basically, they have cut a slot in the plugs barrel towards the back, which forms a hoop for the (-) run to solder to. If you solder to it like it is, the wire and solder will not let the shell screw on. So, just take a screw driver and place it in the middle of the hoop and press untill the hoop "dents in". The dent gives enough clearance to allow the the shell to pass over the solder spot where that run solders to. This will be much more clear when you look at the plugs themselves. When you order the stuff, also get enough of some really nice adhesive lined shrink wrap. 1/2 inch will go over these large cardas. Remeber, you don't have to put the shell on the cable before you attach the RCAS. With these, you solder the rca to the cable , then the shell screws on over the top. Use needle nose pliers to stretch out a piece of the shrink wrap. Just stick them in, and force them open, streching it out, quickly, as it wants to go back to original size, and stretch both ends untill it will pass over the plug. IT will go, just keep streching. good luck.

Russellc

Re: Any TT experience with Belden 89259 interconnects? [message #12010 is a reply to message #12009] Thu, 24 March 2005 16:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Viscount
Thanks for the detailed instructions. Very helpful if I decide to go this route. Since I'm not buying the turntable until May, I've got some time to do some more research. I appreciate the information.

Re: Any TT experience with Belden 89259 interconnects? [message #12011 is a reply to message #12010] Thu, 24 March 2005 17:59 Go to previous message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Sorry, I can blow on for hours!

Regards, russellc

Previous Topic: Turntable Sansui P L95R
Next Topic: Audio Technica AT15SS Specs
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon May 20 06:14:58 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio