Home » Audio » Source » Systemdek 2 bearing
Systemdek 2 bearing [message #11961] Wed, 23 February 2005 00:47 Go to next message
newto is currently offline  newto
Esquire
My systemdek 2 turntable (the old "cooking pot" model) is suffering from bearing rumble. Are there any cheaps fixes rather than bearing replacement? If not, can the bearings be obtained off the shelf, or must it be custom fabricated?

Re: Systemdek 2 bearing [message #11962 is a reply to message #11961] Wed, 23 February 2005 03:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BillEpstein is currently offline  BillEpstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Have you tried a really heavy grease like Lithium or Shell Donax on the bottom of the bearing?

Re: Systemdek 2 bearing [message #11963 is a reply to message #11961] Wed, 23 February 2005 06:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
You have a problem. Bad bearings are a wash. Most good guys who restore turntables use a sleeve of teflon in the bearing well. First; how did you determine there is bearing rumble, with a stethoscope?
Second you need to find out if they used an off the shelf bearing assembly or one that was custom made. Wherever they sourced the original bearing; that place may still be around. Try some research on the Vinyl Engine site, they should have the info you need. There could be a replacement since there are lots of those tables in use. Since that was an English product I bet Len Gregory has knowledge of it. Try the Cartridge Man site.
There are no quick fix's for bad bearings.
Let us know.

Re: Systemdek 2 bearing [message #11964 is a reply to message #11962] Wed, 23 February 2005 18:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
DRCope is currently offline  DRCope
Master
It might mask the bearing noise, but I would expect it to do very strange things to the table's sound as well.

Wish I could offer a helpful suggestion, but I don't know how to overcome this short of replacing the bearing, column and probably the inner platter as well. Too bad. . . .

Re: Systemdek 2 bearing [message #11966 is a reply to message #11961] Mon, 28 February 2005 17:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kyle is currently offline  kyle
Chancellor
One thing about the systemdek II is that they're quite inexpensive now. They're a 25 year old design and you can get one with no arm for about $150. The bearing, if you could find one would be more than that. I live in Vancouver Canada and I met a turntable repair guy that has a machinist make custom bearings for older tables. He says they cost about $80 to $100 Canadian to make. You probably have a local machinist that could do this for you.
Before you do any of that, have you remove the spindle and examined the shaft and bearing well? I've had a systemdek since the early 80's and only recently retired it. The spindle will show scores or scratches if damaged. Also, drain the oil and clean the well. Use some Quakerstate synthetic oil and see if there is any improvement.

Re: Systemdek 2 bearing [message #11970 is a reply to message #11964] Wed, 02 March 2005 10:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
audio origami is currently offline  audio origami
Esquire
hi guys
i do a slightly thicker oil just for turntables with worn bearings ...i also machine new teflon or ptfe or even brass etc bearings for turntable...

best wishes
j7

Re: Systemdek 2 bearing [message #11971 is a reply to message #11961] Fri, 04 March 2005 07:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
DanR is currently offline  DanR
Baron
Take a look at this plus the threads ...

Posted by DanR [ 65.27.238.228 ] on November 12, 2004 at 08:04:30:

Please let me know if this is helpful -- it does work.

Re: Systemdek 2 bearing [message #11973 is a reply to message #11961] Sat, 05 March 2005 09:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
One other thing you should try. Remove the spindle and take the ball bearing off of the end. These usually have a flat spot from years of abrasion. Rotate it so that the flat area is not on the bottom. This gives you a new bearing point and the bottom of the bearing well is usually flat or at least has marginal wear.

For everyone, You're welcome. [message #11978 is a reply to message #11961] Thu, 10 March 2005 00:31 Go to previous message
Chancellor

Previous Topic: Turntable thrust bearing (replacement) alternative
Next Topic: LAB 80
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 20:46:58 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers