Home » Audio » Source » Turntale won't turn?
Turntale won't turn? [message #11930] Sun, 13 February 2005 09:48 Go to next message
Jon is currently offline  Jon
Esquire
Hi. Today, whilst clearing out the attic, I found my Mum's old hifi. Its a Phillips, and the Turntable is labelled 808. It won't turn, but I don't know why.

Its my first experience with turntables of any sort, so I don't really know where to start. I thought it could be the fuses, but the radio tuner (which connects through the turntable) is working, so its not that. A friend suggested that it could be the drive belt, but if the drive belt was loose/broken, surely I'd be able to hear the motor turning when I press Start?

If you need any photos, just ask.

Thanks,
Jon

Re: Turntale won't turn? [message #11931 is a reply to message #11930] Sun, 13 February 2005 11:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Might not be a belt; that is an older model so it could be a idler wheel. In either case you must lift the platter and observe the motor to see if it is turning when you apply power. Let us know.

Re: Turntable won't turn? [message #11934 is a reply to message #11931] Mon, 14 February 2005 06:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jon is currently offline  Jon
Esquire
Crap, I feel like an idiot now. I lifted the platter, and the motor *is* turning, it looks like it would be a belt drive system, but there's no belt there.

a) How do I find out what belt size I need?
b) How much would one be? I might just buy a turntable from eBay..

Re: Turntable won't turn? [message #11935 is a reply to message #11934] Mon, 14 February 2005 09:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Where'd the belt go? Did you check inside the unit, it might have fallen off. Are you sure it's a belt, is there a big rubber wheel on top of the motor? To get a belt go to VinylEngine and look up your table for the size, most likely 11". Then there are several sites that sell belts. Check the motor first though and make sure it is a belt.
If you find the belt you can measure the width of the belt pulled taught but not tight and x2 for the length. There are only 2or3 sizes so close is good enough.

Re: Turntable won't turn? [message #11955 is a reply to message #11934] Mon, 21 February 2005 23:35 Go to previous message
John Chleapas is currently offline  John Chleapas
Baron
Try emailing or better yet call garage-a-records. It is one of the links below to get you going in your search. Also keep in mind you will need a new stylus before you destroy any playable records on your new t/table if the stylus is NFG.

On Ebay buying it is VERY risky. Sadly most sellers have no clue how to properly pack and ship a turntable. Perhaps use the advanced search feature on ebay to limit yourself to only tables in your state. Or look at AudioGon for tables near you. in my area is the WantAdvertiser that has used stereo gear for sale, also try the Craigslist. It is far safer to buy something close to you to avoid heartache when the box arrives with a smashed table due to improper packaging. Good luck! John C.

Previous Topic: How Often Do YOU Lube platter shaft / motor?
Next Topic: YAHOO!! Got the Ariston RD-11 Superieur set up and playing TUNES
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue May 14 21:51:11 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout