Home » Audio » Source » LAB 80
LAB 80 [message #11916] Wed, 09 February 2005 09:06 Go to next message
Daave is currently offline  Daave
Esquire
Has anyone experienced the problem with the Garrard Lab-80 where the power switches (either Manual or Automatic) will not stay "ON"? Motor turns when switches are held on-so motor is OK. On removing platter, it appears that the arm connecting the paddle-type switches on the outside is not moving enough to make contact inside the turntable. Have SAMS service manual but that doesn't help much. If anyone has had similar problem, I would appreciate any help I can get. Really like the old LAB 80 and would lke to get it running again.
Thanks-Cheers-Dave

Re: LAB 80 [message #11975 is a reply to message #11916] Tue, 08 March 2005 22:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mike is currently offline  Mike
Chancellor
Hi, I just picked one of these up today and yes, I am having the same thing happen, but not always. As a matter of fact. the first couple of times I turned it on it was fine. I can get it to stay on though most of the time. Mine is clicking while on. I can see the little arm that is doing it and it appears to be right. Does yours click? Also, when I release the tone arm it wants to fly across the platter. Are these things junk or cool? Any advice? Thanks, Mike

Re: LAB 80 [message #11976 is a reply to message #11975] Wed, 09 March 2005 06:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Esquire
Hi Mike-
The main problem with mine was that the Cueing Cam assembly (that's the cam that is right under the pedestal that holds the tonearm-it's on the bottom side of the turntable) was not turning freely. After taking it off, I found that the shaft it rotates on was corroded slightly. Cleaning up the corrosion and oiling that shaft and cam-solved the problem of the Lab 80 not staying on. HOWEVER-I still have problems with it cueing properly and tracking properly. Still cannot get it to always shut off when the record is finished. I've have always owned this particularly Lab 80-having bought it new in college almost 40 years ago-so it was never abused. Just did not use it much the last 10 years or so-and there, in my opinion, lies the problem. The Lab 80 is basically mechanical-relying on a series of cams and levers to make all of the functions work. The lubricants used seemed to be a rather thick black grease-very prone to harden with age. It also is VERY finicky with the various adjustments to get it to properly work. S0 to your question "Is it cool or junk?" My opinion only-It looks COOL with the wooden tonearm-it can be made to play a record OK-but MECHANICALLY it is junk compared with direct drive or even belt driven turntables. Just too many parts-too much friction-to accomplish what is done with electronics today. Probably the best way to get it working right is to take it almost completely apart, clean off the old lubricant, and REASSEMBLE it-a rather daunting task! If you go that route-then suggest that you purchase a copy of a Garrard Lab 80 Service manual available from various sources on the internet or Ebay. Hope that this helps and GOOD LUCK!!
Cheeers-Dave

Re: LAB 80 [message #11977 is a reply to message #11976] Wed, 09 March 2005 21:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mike is currently offline  Mike
Chancellor
Thanks for the update. I was trying to date this little gem, and you helped on that. Your right, it has so many moving parts! Like it was designed from a clockwork. For all you out there, COOL FACTOR 10, the rest I don't know. Thanks Dave, Mike

Re: LAB 80 [message #11979 is a reply to message #11977] Thu, 10 March 2005 06:37 Go to previous message
Esquire
Hi Mike-
A couple of tidbits for your consideration-if you get the Lab 80 to properly run.
First-after I cleaned as much of the black "goop" that Garrard had used as lubrication (by doing a section of the mechanism at a time)-I relubricated it with a product I found on Ebay-called "Once". I have no interest in promoting this product (comes from Australia)-but it sure seemed to smooth out the operation of the Lab 80 for me.
Secondly-Joel at "The Turntable Factory" gave me a few helpful hints-especialy on recommending a cartridge. I had always used a very light tracking weight cartridge,i.e. Empire 2000, Pickering XV-15,etc.
These track at about 1 1/2 grams. He suggested that I use a heavier tracking cartridge-3 grams-such as a Shure MC-25-basically a DJ cartridge. Evidently the wooden arm requires a heavier tracking force.
Anyway good Luck. As far as dating the Lab 80, Mine is the original version (believe that there was a MK II with the levers a little different). I purchased mine new in 1966 while I was a cadet at the Air Force Academy.
Hope this helps-Cheers-Dave

Previous Topic: Systemdek 2 bearing
Next Topic: Im new and Need Help
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon May 13 21:03:12 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers