Home » Audio » Source » Is my first time, im nervous
Re: Is my first time, im nervous [message #11850 is a reply to message #11848] Wed, 19 January 2005 15:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Fair enough. You are experienced and competent; I'm just not sure of the new guy. I can see where the arm could launch with too much pressure as you say, so the poster is well advised here to be extra carefull either way! Do you happen to know if the 515b's are alnico?

Re: Is my first time, im nervous [message #11851 is a reply to message #11850] Wed, 19 January 2005 16:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Russellc is currently offline  Russellc
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Its all just what one got comfortable back when they started learning about all this stuff. You're used to your way, and might mess up "relearning my way" and vise versa. I know I tore up plenty of stuff before "learning" new ways. You should have seen me try to put up a gutter system. Big learning curve. I got one 12 foot section up, which needs redone, and created a pile up torn up guttering that probably would have done the whole house. Its only natural to do it the way it works for you. Your method has the advantage (once mastered) of having the arm where IT would move rather than than forcing something on the cart/stylus to move as it shouldn't, breaking something. I'll think I'll try it when brushing, but for the eraser I'm more comfortable with it in the holder, but thats just me and what I'm comfortable with. I do find that doing it with the sound on really inspires a light touch, and I can see everyone out there tensing up thinking about it, but its really that soft with the right touch.

Regards, Russellc

Re: Is my first time, im nervous [message #11852 is a reply to message #11851] Wed, 19 January 2005 18:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
The Gutters; it's so cheap to get done and the guy comes with a truck;all the gutter stock, the helpers; why do it yourself? Boom boom they in and they're out. I do most of the work on my house but those kind of things are just easier to pay for.
Did you happen to notice the 515b question? I know you know Altec so I was wondering about those drivers. Thanks; J.R.

Re: Is my first time, im nervous [message #11853 is a reply to message #11852] Thu, 20 January 2005 07:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Holy cow! I hope his trash man isn't into vintage audio, If I looked in a dumpster and saw a pile of drivers from 6 or 7 cabs, and they said 515b altec on them, I would definately have a heart attack.
He also mentioned "plywood cabs with horns" If he means A7 cabs, (or more likely A5 w/ the 515b) The cabs are worth money as well, 200-300 a pair restored & painted. If he meant by horns the metal horn on top of the cab, who knows. If they are A5s those are likely 1505, 1005, or something similar. 1505 go anymore from 800-1500 a pair! Other large format driver horns are also going sky high. I wish I could stumble upon such a treasure trove of altec! Then there would be the high freq compression drivers, look at 288 prices lately?
excuse me,I'm going dumpster diving!
Russellc

Re: Is my first time, im nervous [message #11854 is a reply to message #11853] Thu, 20 January 2005 08:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Naah! Those stories have a way of disapearing when closely examined. Like the guy who finds the Renoir under a painting of dogs playing cards at a flea-market.
If that were true we would have diving equipment on already.
We should have stocked up when people were giving 288's away and 1505's and A-7 cabs. Jesus; I remember people tearing out the woofers and using the box for shelves.
Just gotta let the past be the past.

Re: Is my first time, im nervous [message #11855 is a reply to message #11854] Thu, 20 January 2005 18:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Yes, even back in the 70's I liked A7s. A friend of mine at the time worked summers in a warehouse and used his money to buy a stereo. He had aturntable the brand of which I do not remember, a Marantz 30 watt SS intigrated amp, and speakers were a set of A7s. All this was bought brand new. I think I remember the A7s were 800 or so for the pair.

Unfortunately, by the time I got around to getting into altec the change had come, and I think I have about 1600 in my pair.
they can of course be had for less, but I got everything just the way I wanted it, 828 sealed back cabs, 515 8g woofers, 902 compression drivers
and the dampened version of the 511B horn, all cosmetically very nice and clean.

The 515B, for whatever reason, is the one that seems to make every one crazy bidding. I selected the 515 8g because I liked the hugh ferrite magnets that you don,t have to recharge. However, for home use a recharge should last a very long time, you likely may never have to do it again. all the altec drivers I've heard have that same magic, but I feel by a slight subjective margin, I like the 416 8c better than my 515 8gs. Either sound fine however. I really hope those 515bs drivers don't get tossed, it would really be a shame. Usually, I've found that if they have remained in the same location since install and are still in the cabs, the drivers are in good cosmetic condition. At worst only requiring recone and possible recharge. I think even the raw frames would bring a price worth putting on ebay for sure. To anyone interested in altec, it would be worth paying for the restoration of these fine drivers. restored, these drivers can play for another 40 or 50 years. This stuff was made in the US when labor was cheap. Like works of art. Built to last more than a life time. and then rebuilt for more! The recone replaces the cone, cloth accordian surround as well as the voice coil, so you can recone 8 or 16 ohm, like most "pro sound type" high efficiency Drivers. These shouldn't be tossed...people will likely be discussing these same drivers and what to do with them on the year 2050 audioroundtable site! Save the altec, please.

Russellc

Re: Is my first time, im nervous [message #11856 is a reply to message #11855] Thu, 20 January 2005 19:59 Go to previous message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Truley a plea from the heart! Anecdote; I was young and a buddy had A7's driven by Crown and Phase Linear. The sound could peel paint and of course he played them LOUD. Turned me off from pro stuff for years, so naturally he needed to sell when he was drafted. I offered to hold them until he returned but refused to buy them and he asked very little, almost nothing.
He was injured and had no interest for speakers so I gave them to a guy who played in a band and shot my buddy a small stipend. Funny old world now; I pay 600$ for the model nineteen components a year ago.
They do have a magic that none of the other big bore drivers seem to have. It's like if JBL are Hemi Mopar ; Altec is a Shelby GT.

Previous Topic: Turntable continually skips...help!
Next Topic: My first "new" LP in 20 years; what a disappointment
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri May 17 00:19:29 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout