Home » Audio » Source » Significant upgrade
Significant upgrade [message #11832] Thu, 13 January 2005 03:20 Go to next message
BillEpstein is currently offline  BillEpstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Part of my prep for the new table was trying to isolate it's shelf from vibration.
The metal shelf brackets had just been "mollie'd" to the drywall. I removed them, cut strips of the 3/4" thick anti-fatigue mat as long as the vertical part that touches the wall and re-installed them with "lag" screws into the studs. Then I put that yellow "poster-tak" stuff on the horizontal part for the shelf to rest on.
Now the bracket is isolated from the wall and the shelf isolated from the bracket.
Major difference! What I thought was WOW must have been the result of vibration. Where voices had a kind of "victrola" tone now they are clear. Bass is better defined.

Vibration is everything! Can't wait for Sunday. Stay tuned.

Re: Significant upgrade [message #11833 is a reply to message #11832] Thu, 13 January 2005 09:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Russellc is currently offline  Russellc
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Interesting, I have a similar "wall mount rack" except I went with your basic black home depot brackets. What is anti fatigue mat? I see you have some screws attaching the board to the bracket. Are these screws just loosely in place to prevent the board from being knocked off? Seems like if they are tightened or in contact with the sides off the sides of the bracket holes it would "short circuit" the dampening effect of the yellow stick stuff? One other question, having a similar rack, how do you level the board? I have small cork pads the board rests on and place a few cardboard spacers as needed. I mounted it as level as possible to avoid as much adjustment as I could. Does the yellow stuff give enough "crush" to allow this adjustment? Just wondering.

Russellc

Re: Significant upgrade [message #11834 is a reply to message #11832] Thu, 13 January 2005 09:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
One other question, is your shelf attached to a load bearing wall, or an interior non loadbearing wall? I noticed a difference attaching to a load bearing wall, but this house has the dreaded ( for sound) wood floors, might not make such a difference with different construction.

Russellc

Re: Significant upgrade [message #11835 is a reply to message #11833] Thu, 13 January 2005 14:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BillEpstein is currently offline  BillEpstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
The wall is load bearing as it divides my apt from another. And the reason isolation is so helpful. The mat is what you buy to put behind a sales counter or by a workbench to stand on. Very dense rubber foam. The screws as you guesed Do Not tighten the shelf to the support as that would defeat the purpose. As for level, the 'keyhole' in the tops meant to take a screw head allow some adjustment before tightening down. The supports I made dead level so the shelf, etc has to be level. Only the vibrapods can throw it off and I just shim the MDF layer a bit.
What table do you have?

Re: Significant upgrade [message #11836 is a reply to message #11835] Thu, 13 January 2005 17:38 Go to previous message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I have an AR "The turntable"( it looks exactly like an ES-1). I have a delrin arm board made by Anthony Scillia, which allows a SME mount Infinity black widow with either ortofon OM 30, or right now, shure V15Vxmr. Delrin is a very dense non resonant substance, which also helps. Interconnect is made from Cardas din plug, Cardas cable, and Cardas rca plugs. I have tweeked the suspension by performing the foam removal and clean up mod suggested on the analog dept web site. I also have an extended stud kit, also from anthony Scillia which allows use of the Linn springs and lower grommets. These are finished off with nice wing nuts with nylock type lockwashers to adjust the springs. And of course, the already mentioned home depot based wall shelf. Soon hope to have new motor & power supply, delrin inner platter with new precision stainless steel shaft, and threaded stub for clamp, as well as acrylic outter platter and lead dampening mat as soon as Anthony has them ready.

Regards, Russellc

Previous Topic: itunes sued
Next Topic: Benchmark Dac-1 Reviewed in Sensible Sound
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri May 17 16:14:32 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers