Home » Audio » Source » Tone arm shapes
Re: Tone arm shapes [message #11699 is a reply to message #11684] Sat, 31 July 2004 18:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BillEpstein is currently offline  BillEpstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Ya get some of that art paper and roll it up into a cone shape and then stick a pint in the narra end..............

Re: Slight correction.... [message #11705 is a reply to message #11696] Fri, 13 August 2004 09:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hurdy_gurdyman is currently offline  hurdy_gurdyman
Illuminati (1st Degree)
This is correct as I understand it. The advantage of a S shaped arm over a straight arm is a matter of lateral balance. A straight arm has a tendency to want to rotate on the tubes axis toward the outside, while a S arm corrects this, but at the expense of more mass and more material, thus greater chance of structural resonance.

Dave

Re: Tone arm shapes [message #11710 is a reply to message #11685] Mon, 30 August 2004 16:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kyle is currently offline  kyle
Chancellor
I'm a bit late on this but I did notice a couple of things which I think may be misleading.

As mentioned there is no difference between S shape and straight arms as far as the alignmnet at the nulls and the arc described across the record. The angle of the S is usually similar to the offset angle on a straight arm.

Linear tracking arms are not all actively driven. Most linear trackers are not driven. eg Air Tangent, tri-quartz. I believe radio shack had an active linear arm in the seventies.

Having a longer arm will not make overhang adjustment easier, sliding the cartridge in the mounting slots is about the same in both cases, as is the the overhang. Overhang is the distance the arc of the stylus extends past the spindle.

Unipivots misalign on large excursions? Maybe on a severely warped record but not due to groove modulation. There is not enough vertical motion following a groove to misalign the stylus signifigantly.

I used a Linn for over 10 years and while it's not my favorite table, mine never ran slow. I would have that looked at.

I know this sounds somewhat more negative than the usual for this board but some of your info seems incorrect.

Re: Tone arm shapes and Audio Note [message #11711 is a reply to message #11685] Mon, 06 September 2004 07:21 Go to previous message
DRCope is currently offline  DRCope
Master
Are you sure about S shaped arms being more accurate? It seems to be that you could draw a straight line between the pivot point and stylus point on an S as well as a straight arm, and that the relationship between them would be constant from lead-in to lead-out.

I agree that matching the arm and cart is of primary importance, and the arm/table match following that.

In the gimbal v unipivot sweepstakes, unipivots give me fits - just a personal thing. As far as gimbal-suspension and solid-uni match-ups, it's worth noting that Naim makes a very fine unipivot which finds application largely on Linns. Art Dudley is a very big long-term fan of that combination, and man has he wrung out the possibilities with a Linn!

FWIW - While I hardly claim to be unbiased regarding Audio Note, I used a Linn for over twenty years; it was the longest running constant in my ever-changing system. The TT One ran circles around it. Speed, articulation, life . . . . You can read MRanfft's impressions on AA.

The TT One is essentially a Systemdek with an upgraded bearing and acrylic platter. (Audio Note bought the rights to the design - all very above board!)

The TT Two is the same, but with two motors, lending greater solidity and constant speed to the game. The result is firmer bass and smoother midrange.

A potential point of interest - the IQ cartridges have interchangeable styli, so you can buy an IQ1, use it while saving up for an IQ2 or 3 stylus, and then change, keeping the 1 stylus for parties, etc.

Another point of interest about the IQ3: The stylus tip and cantilever are the same as that used on the IO1 moving coil which is a couple grand more expensive. Verrrrry detailed and refined sound.

Previous Topic: best moving magnet
Next Topic: Hard disk recorders
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat May 11 17:55:12 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout