Home » Audio » Source » 7" slower than 12"?
7" slower than 12"? [message #11693] Thu, 29 July 2004 22:14 Go to next message
Christian is currently offline  Christian
Esquire
Hi, I'm new in the world of turntables, so I have the following question: I have a few 7" singles and I also have these same songs in my others 12" (33 1/3) LPs, but the 7" versions sounds a bit slower than their homologous 12". So, Its that normal or my turntable is defective?. By the way, I have a full automatic direct drive quartz lock turntable.

Many thanks and sorry any mistake in the redaction, but my english is not perfect!!

Re: 7" slower than 12"? [message #11695 is a reply to message #11693] Fri, 30 July 2004 09:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Do your 7" singles play at 33 1/3rd RPM or 45 RPM?

About your English, no need to apologize. I am impressed with how well you wrote.

Re: 7" slower than 12"? [message #11697 is a reply to message #11695] Fri, 30 July 2004 12:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Christian is currently offline  Christian
Esquire
Hi, many thanks for your reply. I'm trying to do the best that I can with my english!.

My 7" singles play all at 45 RPM. Maybe the turntable needs some oil for lubrication because it was a long time whitout use or maybe there is something wrong with the internal mechanism. But anyway I think it is strange because my LPs play fine... well, in fact the LPs goes a little slower than the CD versions, but it is almost imperceptible and the only way to realise that is playing both turntable and the CD simultaneously. Actually I don't know if it is the way that it supposed to be or there is something wrong.
(By the way, the turntable is a Pioneer PL-7, from 1982 I think)...

Any suggestion?

Thanks again.

Re: 7" slower than 12"? [message #11698 is a reply to message #11697] Fri, 30 July 2004 13:33 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
When I've seen tables have speed problems only on one speed, it's usually something mechanical. Tables with belt or wheel drives that physically change paths to change speed can have something on the surface of the pulley that causes it to slip, so maybe cleaning will help. But if you're going to clean it yourself, be careful with solvents around rubber or plastics.

You might also find that the belt is stretched or the roller worn out. If it has just a little more friction on one surface than the other, that's sometimes enough to make one work while the other slips. You might consider sending the turntable in for service. Approved Audio Service is a sponsor here, so I usually suggest them. Larry is a real nice guy and I'm sure he'll be most helpful.

Previous Topic: Magnetic Tape
Next Topic: ARXA & REGA RB200
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue May 14 09:18:35 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout