Home » Audio » Source » Direct Drive Revisited
Re: Direct Drive Revisited [message #11675 is a reply to message #11674] Thu, 22 July 2004 09:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jason is currently offline  jason
Chancellor
I stongly believe that one of the things that most audiophiles don't consider here is the cost of manufacture of DD turntables. A DD motor assembly, and the electronics it employs is neither inexpensive to design nor manufacture. Basically, unless a manufacturer can mass produce it, it is not cost effective.

This for the most part rules out high end small company makers. They have neither the capital nor expertise to design a DD that would sound as good as they can make a belt sound, so they don't bother, and rather, choose to focus their efforts in other areas, such as tomearm, plinth isolation, etc.

Companies like Technics, (Panasonic), on the other hand have invested $$$ in designing their DD systems, and they did that a long time ago. They can still do it cost effectively today, due to the thousands of TTs they sell to the DJ market. VPI, Oracle, Linn, even Rega or Thorens, can't do that, so again it just makes more sense for them to go with the "simpler is better approach".

Again, I stress I own both a Rega 2, and a Technics 1600. I always liked the Rega, with exception of its speed variations, (which were VERY noticeable at times). I don't find ANY such "noticeable", (as proponents of belt claim), speed hunting variations in the presentation of the Technics. When I gave the Technics a try, it not only didn't have such speed issues, (and yes, I have a fairly revealing system to hear the difference), the detail, soundstage, (yes 3-D folks...), and dynamics, basically blew the Rega out of the water. Even the things that the Rega is supposedly good at, (the whole pace and rythym thing), the Technics is just simply better at.

Most people don't remember, that just before "perfect sound forever" came out, many Japanese companies, such as Denon, Kenwood, and Nakaminchi, put out some overkill DD rigs. These are VERY sought after by those in the know about them today. Truth be known, most of the technology that those tables used did make it to the better mass produced units...Unfortunately, about the same time these same companies were beginning to put out a lot of plastic junk, that yes, made CDs sound much better.

Some of the larger companies, such as Denon recently are discovering that there is a market once again for audiophile DD units. And they are capable of producing them cost effectively, (most price for about the same as a Rega 3 or less). There just may be a paradigm change yet folks...

My system:

Mac MA6100 integrated
The Hornshoppe Horn loudspeakers
Technics 1600 w/Shure V-15vxmr

Re: Direct Drive Revisited [message #11676 is a reply to message #11675] Fri, 23 July 2004 07:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Go on Bottlehead site. He has a Denon DPL 60 for sale for 400$. Can't seem to sell at that price. That's considered one of the best DD's ever. He replaced it with a belt drive. Guess he wanted good sound.

Re: Direct Drive Revisited [message #11677 is a reply to message #11676] Fri, 23 July 2004 08:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
Good table. Not so good arm. Denons were never known for their tonearms. This is also the trouble with the Technics tables. The trick is finding a cartridge that plays well with the arm. If you can do that, that table is easily worth more than it's $400 price tag, (relatively speaking...)

j

Re: Direct Drive Revisited [message #11678 is a reply to message #11677] Fri, 23 July 2004 09:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
The s-shaped Tonearm from the DP 47 was a good arm for it's time. There are several guys who mounted good arms on the old Technics SP 10 tables with good results. There's a guy by me who mounted a Rega 250 on an SL 1200 and wrote it up in Audio Amateur.

There is an alternative in idler wheel driven tables like the TD 124 or Garrard 301/401 but it all seems like a lot of work and money when you can get a used LP 12 for 650.00$ now or an old Thorens TD 160 and rebuild for a couple of hundred. I A/B'd my Technics SL 3300 with a Grado green on it the other day just for giggles. I listen to it every day since it resides in the basement studio. I have always maintained in this forum that the old Technics tables are a great bargain, especially for newcomers to vinyl who don't want to sink lots of cash into the front end. If you check the archives you will see old posts on this very subject. The arms are weak but servicable and they sound pretty good. But... up hear with the Linn there is no contest. The Linn just plays music while the Technics sounds two dimensional and flat. What can I say? I certainly would rather spend 200$ than 1500$ any day; but then I wouldn't hear Miles Davis sound sooo sweet!

Re: Direct Drive Revisited [message #11680 is a reply to message #11678] Sun, 25 July 2004 19:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
I guess we will have to agree to disagree on this.. But anyway, if you are ever in the NYC area stop over and I'll give you a listen, (Bring over the Miles Davis), I'll bring the beers!

j

Re: Direct Drive Revisited [message #11681 is a reply to message #11680] Sun, 25 July 2004 20:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Just so happens I am there on a regular basis so chill those suckers up. Short hop on the LIRR.J.R.

Re: Direct Drive Revisited [message #11682 is a reply to message #11681] Mon, 26 July 2004 05:35 Go to previous message
Chancellor
Cool. I'm in Jersey in Caldwell. Let me know...

j

Previous Topic: AR Dust cover needed
Next Topic: Alignment FAQ
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue May 14 14:05:57 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers