Home » Audio » Source » selling turntable
selling turntable [message #11658] Mon, 12 July 2004 15:39 Go to next message
Joanna is currently offline  Joanna
Esquire

Can anyone tell me how to go about selling an AR turntable, probably from the 1970's? There's no model number on it. Thanks!

Re: selling turntable [message #11659 is a reply to message #11658] Mon, 12 July 2004 16:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Since I have had a few AR's I will try to offer an opinion.
1. Does it work?
2. Can you take a photo?
3. Can you describe the switch that turns the unit on and off because that should tell which model it is.
4. I will say this; the value is dependant on how old a model it is. The older XA XB's are not worth much maybe 75.00$ in good condition.
5. Look on E-Bay and see if you can identify the model from pictures and see what they sell for. Hope this helps,J.R.

Re: selling turntable [message #11660 is a reply to message #11658] Tue, 13 July 2004 08:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Esquire
Thank you, J.R.! 1. Yes, it works but I have to give it a little push to get it turning. Speed was checked by a repair man. 2. I can take a picture but it's going to take at least a few days. 3. As I look at the turntable with the arm on the right the switch is on the left toward me, a simple off/on switch. Other description: It has two belts and moving the larger one to a different groove on the spool changes the speed to 45 or 33. Sure cartridge. The weight on the end of the arm looks like brass. The serial number on the botton begins with XA, which I now realize must be the model. Is that the entire model number? Joanna

Re: selling turntable [message #11661 is a reply to message #11660] Tue, 13 July 2004 10:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Hi J, Yes that is the model no. Check the cartridge and see if it says Type III, that is a desireable cartridge so that may help. The best bet is to list it on Audiogon or here on this site. The value really is contingent on the condition and most people will require a photo. I f you should sell it on the net you will probably need to ship it which is a pain in the rear. Checking on E-bay they seem to sell for around 80.00$ if that is any help. Keep us posted. What happened you gave up on your old records?

Re: selling turntable [message #11662 is a reply to message #11661] Wed, 14 July 2004 09:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Esquire
I carried my parents' unwanted AR across the country to Seattle because my Technics wasn't working and I assumed it would be expensive to get it fixed, but it turned out that all it needed was an adjustment to the belt, which a local repairman did in one minute without charging. So now I have two turntables. The cartridge on the AR says Shure 5X, so I guess that isn't type 3. I'll try to sell it here in Seattle so I won't have to deal with shipping. If that doesn't work then I'll try it online. Thanks again.

Re: selling turntable [message #11663 is a reply to message #11662] Wed, 14 July 2004 10:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Hi J. The 5x is a good thing you should keep that and get a new stylus and use it on the Technics. Good luck and visit again. (BTW carrying the AR across country must have been tiring!)

Re: selling turntable [message #11668 is a reply to message #11663] Mon, 19 July 2004 08:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Esquire
The cartridge on the Technics is an Audio-Technica ATN96E. Still think I should keep the 5x? J.R., you've been so helpful. How did you learn all this stuff?

Re: selling turntable [message #11706 is a reply to message #11668] Sun, 15 August 2004 19:22 Go to previous message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Just noticed your reply; Yeah I like the shure. Learning this stuff; I just did it to meet girls. Hope you get this post;J.R.

Previous Topic: Pioneer RT-909 Reel-to-Reel
Next Topic: AR TURNTABLE DUST COVER
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue May 14 04:02:43 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout