Home » Audio » Source » Dual 505 repair questions
Dual 505 repair questions [message #11646] Fri, 18 June 2004 22:45 Go to next message
Stevedor is currently offline  Stevedor
Esquire
I've had this turntable for a while, since I was a tyke, and the thing has been through hell while always serving me well... until lately.

The right channel isn't working. The left channel sounds fine. I'm sure its a problem with the turntable, not my amp. I have a suspicion that it could be the stylus or the entire cartridge, since the cartridge seems a bit loose on the tonearm. I no longer have the manual.

What do you recommend? There isn't a good repair shop locally. Should I send it out, or is this something that I can repair myself if I had the proper parts and some directions? I'm not naturally inclined towards electronics, but I can follow instructions. I only want this to work again, nothing too fancy

Steve

Re: Dual 505 repair questions [message #11647 is a reply to message #11646] Sun, 20 June 2004 08:41 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
I'd suggest isolating whether it is the cartridge or the wires first. One way to do this is to gently remove the wires from the back of the cartridge and swap them left for right. If the weak channel moves from left to right, then you'll know it's the cartridge. If not, it's the wires. Once you've determined this, you'll know what needs to be replaced. You may even find that the connections are just dirty, and movement fixes the problem. If so, you might take a moment to clean the connectors with electronic contact cleaner.

If you're not comfortable with any of this process, or if you need any other assistance, you might contact Approved Audio Service. They're sure to be able to help you out.

Previous Topic: OLD MC CARTRIDGES
Next Topic: AR Pulley
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat May 04 13:42:22 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout