Home » Audio » Source » Help!
Help! [message #11556] Tue, 13 April 2004 14:40 Go to next message
Sarah is currently offline  Sarah
Esquire
Hi,
I was wondering if anybody could answer a quick question. My mum recently bought me a second-hand record player (Akai AP-D33). When I went to play something on it, it soon became apparent that the speed was wrong. LPs sound fine if they're played at 45rpm, whereas 33 1/3 rpm is way too slow. So I can't play 7" at all. Is this a fixable problem or will I have to buy another turntable?

Thanks in advance,
Sarah

Re: Help! [message #11558 is a reply to message #11556] Wed, 14 April 2004 09:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Hmm. That's a good question. I've seen this symptom from bad motors but I've also seen it from sticky rubber on the mechanism. Obviously, if it's the motor, you'll need to repair or replace it. But if it's just that the mechanism is dirty on the 33 RPM side, you may be able to clean it.

Honestly, I've seen the "gummy rubber" symptom most commonly on roller-drive turntables when the pinch-rollers got sticky. Those containing pinch-rollers are usually not really quality tables, so if it has a roller-drive, I probably wouldn't mess with it. But if it's a nice turntable and it has just gotten dirty, then cleaning might take care of it.

One last thing about solvents. Do be careful what you use to clean with. If you find rubber deposits on a pulley, there's a good chance that whatever rubber wore off on the pulley is pretty well decomposed. So you may need a belt or pinch-roller anyway. But be careful with stuff like alcohol and other solvents. It will clean that metal pulley nicely, but it might turn any rubber it comes in contact with into gummy bears.

Re: Help! [message #11561 is a reply to message #11556] Wed, 14 April 2004 17:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adrian Mack is currently offline  Adrian Mack
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Interesting. Its been my understanding that the large LPs had to be played at 33rpm, and the smaller records had to be played at 45rpm. I find it strange yours is the other way around!

Re: Help! [message #11562 is a reply to message #11556] Thu, 15 April 2004 23:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lon is currently offline  lon
Illuminati (2nd Degree)

The question seems to have come up at the link below as a
common problem with that unit.

It's the Electronic Technicians Association so there
might be more followups there.

Re: Help! [message #11563 is a reply to message #11562] Fri, 16 April 2004 00:12 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Wow! Great link, cool site. Good catch, thanks!

Previous Topic: If you're a....
Next Topic: Audio Note Turntable Three Reference
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon May 13 02:06:53 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout