Home » Audio » Source » Pre-amp
Pre-amp [message #11493] Mon, 26 January 2004 11:36 Go to next message
Lewis is currently offline  Lewis
Esquire
I was told I needed a pre amp in order to use my old Technics SL-QD33 turntable with my new Sony STR-DE695 Receiver. So I got a Recoton SP-2 preamp, but the sound is tinny. Suggestions?

Re: Pre-amp [message #11494 is a reply to message #11493] Mon, 26 January 2004 22:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
I don't know anything about the Recoton SP-2, but I do have questions that may be important to you. Does it have RIAA equalization built-in? Do you know if it is perhaps an option? Do you know if your cartridge uses a moving magnet or a moving coil? Does the phono amp have a selector for cartridge type?

Re: Pre-amp [message #11495 is a reply to message #11494] Tue, 27 January 2004 06:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lewis is currently offline  Lewis
Esquire
Wayne - I don't know the answers to your questions, but I'll try to find out. Thanks for your assistance.

Re: Pre-amp [message #11499 is a reply to message #11494] Tue, 03 February 2004 07:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
DRCope is currently offline  DRCope
Master
The SP-2 is an RIAA stage, 99% likely to be moving magnet only at the price.

The DD turntable and Sony receiver are both leaning toward the lean side. He didn't say what cartridge, cables, speakers round out the system, so I'm wondering how the system as a whole balances out. I haven't heard the Recoton, but I'd guess it also leans toward the lean side.

Re: Pre-amp [message #11502 is a reply to message #11495] Fri, 06 February 2004 22:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lon is currently offline  lon
Illuminati (2nd Degree)

Maybe it's a bit too late for this but audioXpress mag did
an article on the low end phono preamps. The battery-driven
ones were preferred and a get-by one that I thought of getting
myself is a special order from Radio Shack online. Cost is
$25 on the RS. Next jump up is about $50 and assembly required.

The Radio Shack part number is 970-1018. The Hagerman Bugle is $50
in kit form and can be seen at www.hagtech.com. The Recoton is
reviewed as the TCC TC-400/Recoton SP2.

Re: Pre-amp [message #11503 is a reply to message #11502] Fri, 06 February 2004 23:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
I remember that little Radio Shack phono amp from the seventies. They sold it as a magnetic-to-ceramic level converter, in that it was intended for use as a way to facilitate an upgrade from ceramic cartridges to magnetics. If I remember correctly, those units did not include built-in RIAA equalization because of this. Ceramic phono inputs have RIAA EQ already, so the converter wouldn't need to provide the curve.

I'm surprised that Radio Shack still sells those converters. Do they now have an RIAA filter, maybe with a selector switch underneath or something? Does the article mention anything about this?

Re: Pre-amp [message #11526 is a reply to message #11503] Mon, 01 March 2004 22:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dave Martin is currently offline  Dave Martin
Esquire
I just purchased one of the Radio Shack Stereo Phono Preamps to add my old Technics SL-QD33 turntable to a new Harmon Kardon A/V receiver and it works fine with magnetic cartridges. It uses a 9 volt battery and has an on/off switch. Documentation notes "designed for low noise, with RIAA compensation". Hope this helps!

Re: Pre-amp [message #11527 is a reply to message #11526] Tue, 02 March 2004 00:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Well, there you go! Thanks for the input, now we know for sure.

Re: Pre-amp [message #11532 is a reply to message #11494] Fri, 12 March 2004 15:14 Go to previous message
Oldtechie is currently offline  Oldtechie
Esquire
Just a note, whenever you hook a magnetic cartridge turntable up to a reciever you will need a Phono pre-amp, the ceramic needle output don't require one, the magnetic cartridges output is so low you need an "amp" to be able to pre-boost the signal before going into the line level inputs of a reciever.
The trick is in getting a "clean" amp to boost the signal, a low noise to signal ratio. I use an A/C type and even with isolation you still can detect a slight 60 hz a/c hum in the background, it is very low but still it is there. So I would imagine that your battery powered one would be the best choice:)
There is tons of techincal jargon related to this subject but this is the basic facts, 30+ years servicing these products professionally and learning from others has helped me, I hope this helps you:):)

Previous Topic: Non-oversampled 16 bit DAC
Next Topic: Best and Worst labels for classical vinyl?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon May 13 18:39:24 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio