Home » Audio » Source » Turntable setup question
Turntable setup question [message #11490] Sat, 24 January 2004 20:40 Go to next message
Cam Ewart is currently offline  Cam Ewart
Esquire
Hello all,

I am wondering if someone could offer some advice. Every turntable I have ever owned has the same problem. The last 2" or so on each side starts to sound distorted, with loss of treble and poor sound quality in general.

Naturally I check to make sure the needle isn't dirty, then I put it back down and the same thing happens. If I then jump back to the start of the album, everything sounds great...

I had my Technics SL1200MkII 'professionally' set up by the local store - should this be happening?

Thanks for any info,

Cameron Ewart

Re: Turntable setup question [message #11491 is a reply to message #11490] Sat, 24 January 2004 21:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently online  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Maybe tracking or balance weight is off? If the symptom grows as the needle gets nearer to the center, I would suspect tone arm geometry issues of some sort.

Then again, maybe its just dirty and the needle is picking up more stuff as it goes along. That's easy enough to take care of.

Re: Turntable setup question [message #11492 is a reply to message #11490] Sun, 25 January 2004 07:13 Go to previous message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Hi Cameron;
There will always be some inner groove distortion due to the limitations of tonearm geometry, but it should not be so apparent, I suspect you have an cartridge alignment problem. You did not state how you set-up your cartridge, how old it is, or what make and model as some are more critical of variations in azimuth, VTA and other factors. The merrill set-up pamphlet is excellent for understanding these requirments and showing how to implement them. There is a copy floating around here somewhere if you are interested.
J.R.

Previous Topic: Manual required for DUAL cs-2235Q
Next Topic: problems with my new stanton str8-80
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue May 14 11:12:22 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers