Home » Audio » Source » What sort of phono preamp are you all using in here?
using the good Dr. B's "Seduction", but ... [message #11484 is a reply to message #11465] Fri, 09 January 2004 08:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mhardy6647 is currently offline  mhardy6647
Esquire

... also very intrigued by Jim Hagerman's designs, especially the entry-level "Bugle" ss preamp, glowingly reviewed by AudioXpress a while back.

Re: using the good Dr. B's "Seduction", but ... [message #11485 is a reply to message #11484] Sun, 11 January 2004 00:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lon is currently offline  lon
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Yes I went through that whole piece in _aX_.

For the occassional user such as myself, the article
says that you get the battery functionality in a
(special order online only) product from Radio Shack. It has the battery so is quiet, but not as sophisticated as the Hagerman.

I'm waiting for that second part of the tube phono preamp
project in the next _audioXpress_.

Re: What sort of phono preamp are you all using in here? [message #11487 is a reply to message #11465] Sun, 11 January 2004 06:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
elektratig is currently offline  elektratig
Grand Master
Although I'd love to hear both Doc B's seduction and one of the Hagerman offerings, I don't have an excuse, since I already have two excellent kit phono preamps: the Audio Electronic Supply PH-1 and Welborne Reveille phonostage. I can't choose between them, so I keep switching back and forth, using both with my Rega Planar 3 (old style, haven't upgraded).

Re: What sort of phono preamp are you all using in here? [message #11555 is a reply to message #11465] Tue, 13 April 2004 13:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lamont Cranston is currently offline  Lamont Cranston
Esquire
I replaced a tired and noisy Acurus P10 with a Monolithic PS-2/HC-1b combo about two months ago, and it's been pure bliss ever since!

Re: What sort of phono preamp are you all using in here? [message #11827 is a reply to message #11473] Thu, 06 January 2005 22:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RNA is currently offline  RNA
Esquire
I am considering getting an Acurus P10, to use with my Acurus amp, Aragon preamp and VPI Scout turntable. Can you provide any comments on how good the P10 is and how much one might expect to pay for a used unit (and how much were they "new")? Thanks!

RNA

Re: What sort of phono preamp are you all using in here? [message #11828 is a reply to message #11827] Fri, 07 January 2005 02:23 Go to previous message
Nak is currently offline  Nak
Esquire
The P10 is nice, clean and unobtrusive. Sells new for $400, expect to pay $200 for a good used one.

Previous Topic: Anyone built a DIY DAC using product evaluation boards?
Next Topic: Portable CDR player
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue May 14 11:22:52 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout