Home » Audio » Thermionic Emissions » Pleasantly Surprised
Pleasantly Surprised [message #11370] Wed, 14 March 2007 12:42 Go to next message
FredT is currently offline  FredT
Illuminati (1st Degree)
No, amazed is more accurate! My "Sound Creative" KT88 SET amp arrived today. I have seen budget Chinese products arrive in a flimsy cardboard box with a few wads of paper for protection, so I was anxious as UPS (United Parcel Shredders) delivered it from the seller's location in California.

But it arrived in perfect shape, and the first pleasant surprise came as I opended the box. It was double boxed in sturdy cardboard boxes, and the amp was cradled inside a foam packing frame that softens any bumps and keeps it a couple of inches away from the sides of the box, just as an expensive high end amp would be packaged.

The second surprise was that a pair of interconnects, a pair of speaker cables, and a power cord were included, and the manual, though brief, is perfectly readable.

The third surprise was when I removed the tranformer cover and the bottom panel and discovered a fairly big toroidal power transformer above the chassis. Below the chassis I spotted Multicap coupling caps, a choke in the power supply, and a big paper-in-oil smoothing cap.

Oh and it sounds good too. Especially when you consider the $299 price. I notice the Ebay seller has raised the price to $399, but it's still a bargain at that price. To find it go to Ebay, Consumer Electronics, Home Audio, Amplifiers, and search using the term "KT88"

Re: Pleasantly Surprised [message #11371 is a reply to message #11370] Wed, 14 March 2007 14:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

My mouth is watering, Fred. I plan to buy one of these too, but wasn't in all that much of a hurry until you told me the price went up. I guess I better get on the ball, 'cause now that you've given them a "thumbs up," maybe rising interest caused the seller to bump the price. I had better buy now before the price jumps again!

Re: Pleasantly Surprised [message #11372 is a reply to message #11371] Wed, 14 March 2007 16:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
FredT is currently offline  FredT
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I was disappointed to see the price increase, and I suspect you're right, that unanticipated interest in this amp caused him to realize he was giving them away at $299. His other products are womens boots, which leads me to believe he might be a wholesaler who buys lots of whatever at distress prices and sells them on Ebay. Russ talked to him, and I belive he told me these were made for somebody who went out of business, and the person who's selling them got them really cheap. This wouldn't be the first time somebody decided to go into the audio business only to realize you have to advertise your product to get any sales volume, and if you do advertise you can't make any money without overpricing them. It's a pity, but most people buy only the products they see in ads, and they actually belive the ads.

I've been listening all afternoon, and I really like what I'm hearing. They have that SET midrange magic with a more convincing soundstage than any of my other amps. Of course if it dies in a couple of months there's nobody to send it back to for repair, but I'm sure I could talk one of the Bottleheads who understands tubes to trouble shoot it. Even if it had a major failure like a blown power transformer I would be out only $299, so I'm not too concerned. Also, at 10 watts they have enough power to drive an efficient speaker like the ART array or the Studio One Pi.

I took another look at the coupling caps, Not only are they Multicaps, they're PPFXS polypropylene and tin foil, and not the less expensive PPMFX metallized polypropylene caps. I wouldn't expect to find these in any but the better (read more expensive) high end tube amps.

Re: Pleasantly Surprised [message #11373 is a reply to message #11370] Sat, 07 April 2007 21:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
randle is currently offline  randle
Master
Well lucky you, most equipment like that doesn't get a snug trip like that at all. Where di you get it from, Ebay? or the store?

Re: Pleasantly Surprised [message #11376 is a reply to message #11372] Wed, 25 April 2007 07:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
DRCope is currently offline  DRCope
Master
$399 is still staggeringly cheap. You're getting tube rectification, a choke in the PS and that giant PIO cap. Whoever designed this wasn't fooling around!

Actually, on the price issue, Chinese currency has recently strengthened against the dollar, so this may be rippling across the board on Chinese imports. I just bought a Chinese-built cello for my wife's birthday (Thursday) and it had just taken a 10% hit compared to the price on the shop's web site. (And no, it isn't the retailer getting cute and making a fast buck. This is a husband & wife team in the woods of VT who are both professional cellists and mostly deal in $4k - $10k 30-100 year old instruments. The one I just purchased is neither.

Re: Hey Dave! [message #11377 is a reply to message #11376] Wed, 09 May 2007 20:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Epstein is currently offline  Bill Epstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Why don't you bring the wife to Rocky Mountain and give us a benchmark?

Re: Hey Dave! [message #11380 is a reply to message #11377] Fri, 18 May 2007 06:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
DRCope is currently offline  DRCope
Master
Hi Bill,

Just went through my Junk Mail box, and it turns out all kinds of non-junk is finding its way there!

I would love to have brought Jo-Ann, but all the darn shows are during the school year and she's way too responsible to take off just for fun.

We just went to pick up the cello this past weekend. What a blast. She had never laid hands on a cello or bow before and was afraid she wouldn't be able to make a sound. Watching her realize she could DO this was a great treat.

Re: Pleasantly Surprised [message #11397 is a reply to message #11370] Wed, 26 September 2007 12:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sacback is currently offline  sacback
Baron
Sounds like you should be surprised. I would be. Maybe you just got lucky.

Re: Pleasantly Surprised [message #11401 is a reply to message #11371] Sat, 20 October 2007 09:34 Go to previous message
Gilipsie is currently offline  Gilipsie
Viscount
Wayne have you bought it yet? I wanted to know how you liked it.

Previous Topic: Any QUAD mkII users here?
Next Topic: TUbe amps in the greatest shape
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 17:45:48 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout