Home » Audio » Thermionic Emissions » Softone SET output transfromers
Softone SET output transfromers [message #11312] Sun, 26 March 2006 08:57 Go to next message
Ron brady is currently offline  Ron brady
Esquire
I was searching for out put transformers for a 300B project I am considering to build. I would really like to use Plitrons but they are way too expensive for me right now. I stumbled upon the web site of a Japanese transformer manufacturer SOFTONE and was intrigued by their products. I was curious to know if any of you have used their transformers. They have similar specs to the plitron but are less than half the price. At $98 each I think they look like a real bargain. I dont have a link for them but just search for SOFTONE.
Ron Brady

Re: Softone SET output transfromers [message #11313 is a reply to message #11312] Sun, 26 March 2006 17:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shane is currently offline  Shane
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
I found these on Ebay a while back when looking for OPT's. They have been mentioned on DIYAudio and elsewhere. Don't know if this helps, but it might be worth looking at.

Re: Softone SET output transfromers [message #11321 is a reply to message #11312] Sun, 09 April 2006 05:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PakProtector is currently offline  PakProtector
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Call these folks:

Heyboer Transformer in Grand Haven MI( just google 'Heyboer' ). I have heard some of their SE outputs in a friend's amp.

What ever you decide upon, don't stand for some custom winder demanding payment up front with some huge and undefined wait period. Heyboer is net 30 for all its customers. Even custom, 2-of stuff...:)

There is *NO* reason to support such behaviour.
cheers,
Douglas

Re: Softone SET output transfromers [message #11322 is a reply to message #11312] Wed, 19 April 2006 02:31 Go to previous message
RC Daniel is currently offline  RC Daniel
Chancellor
Hi Ron

SofTone TXs have been discussed on various forums before. They have been used by a couple DIYers who seemed to quite like them.

From memory, they seem pretty decent, though hit saturation (causing associated bass limitations) quite early; @ ~6W output I think. They would be pretty good for 45s and 2A3s... even 300Bs at lowish plate voltage / dissipation.

I seem to recall some positive comments re an amp using these in an active set-up... running on the mids I think?..

Anyhow, these guys seem pretty legit, with lots of test results on their site - I can't offer an endorsement tho.

Best of fortune with your search, Raymond.

Previous Topic: Thanks Wayne and Joe...LED issue solved!
Next Topic: DeVille 212 amp trouble.
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 05:46:28 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout